Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez pose for pictures before prom begins.
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

The Hottest Wellness Trend is About Getting Really Cold

Why Do People Love Cold Water Immersion?
Roberto Moiola
Cold plunges are common at spas and fitness centers, but some people are brave enough to jump right into an icy lake for their cold water therapy.

Chances are you have probably heard of cold therapy or cold water immersion, specifically ice baths. You might have seen professional athletes jump into an ice bath after a game or singers like Harry Styles and Lady Gaga after a concert. If you haven’t, imagine a giant tub with cold water and lots of ice and someone submerging themselves up to their chest in it. While it is most commonly used by athletes, cold water therapy has become more popular, as it has many benefits beyond athletic needs.

The Benefits:

• Preventing Muscle Soreness

Ice baths are often used for recovery or pain management. Submerging yourself into a cold bath after a heavy workout relieves sore or burning muscles and decreases the effect of heat and humidity that may be present after a workout. It briefly puts a hold on the pain of sore muscles and may help you perform more than you usually would for your next workout. The cold temperature also narrows your blood vessels, lowering blood flow and causing less swelling or inflammation. When you hop out, your body will warm up, and healthy nutrients are brought to your muscles through your bloodstream. There may be quicker flushing of waste build-up in your muscles as well.

“Sometimes, after lacrosse practice and games, I will plunge into a little ice bath to help wake up my sore muscles again. You just have to jump in and out quickly and persevere through the shock of the cold because it is worth it afterward,” said senior Nicholas Wallen.

• Cooling

Ice baths help cool your body temperature. Working out causes you to raise your body temperature, and you sweat because your body is trying to cool you down. This makes you feel hotter and more humid, but ice baths can decrease the effect of heat and humidity. The ice-cold water can improve your response and activity, decrease stress, or better your stress response. Although initially shocking, jumping into that cold water can make you feel refreshed and alert. Its cooling effects reach beyond the musculoskeletal system, benefits your whole body. 

If an ice bath might be too much work, or you don’t usually work or train, you can resort to cold showers, which can be easier to manage and very refreshing.

“I don’t take ice baths, but I do take cold showers in the mornings to wake myself up, or rather, I start the shower off hot, but in the last few minutes, I change it to cold because it’s refreshing and it wakes me up mentally and physically,” said senior Daniela Aguila.

The Correct Way to Take an Ice Bath

Exposing your body to extreme water temperatures may be unsafe for certain people or situations. The narrowing of the blood vessels may be dangerous for people with high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or other medical complications because it could increase your risk for cardiac arrest or stroke. Additionally, staying in an ice bath too long can cause hypothermia. 

“Whenever I am at the spa, I plunge hot and cold to get my blood circulating. I usually go into the Jacuzzi and let myself get warm, and then when I go into the cold water. I dip my toe in, and I get scared to jump in, but then I realize it’s so cold, so I just have to jump in before I get a mind block. When I’m finally in the cold water, it sort of burns, so I just close my eyes and try to distract myself. But, by the second time around, it’s not as bad,” said senior Andrea Garza.

Mr. Robert Hirlemann, owner of Plunge and Sauna recommends using a sauna first and then taking a cold plunge, but not after a workout. He suggests before a workout trying the cold plunge as a way to “wake up” the body. When doing a “treatment” only, no workout, hop in the sauna briefly for a few minutes and then take a two-minute cold water plunge.

Making an ice bath at home:

• Run lukewarm water and place a thermometer in the tub.
  • Gradually add ice cubes to the tepid water. Before entering the tub, remember to wear comfortable clothes like a T-shirt and shorts. 
  • Step into the tub slowly when the water reaches 50-59 degrees Fahrenheit, or 10-15 degrees Celsius.  
  • Set your alarm for 5-10 minutes or less based on what feels reasonable.
  • Get out of the tub carefully, and dry off thoroughly before changing into dry clothes. 

Building up a tolerance to cold water exposure is a good idea. It is ideal to gradually lower the temperature of your ice baths until you reach a point that works for you. Or you can try easing into ice baths by starting with your lower body before working your way up to full-body soaks so the ice water isn’t as shocking to your system.

Sometimes, after lacrosse practice and games, I will plunge into a little ice bath to help wake up my sore muscles again. You just have to jump in and out quickly and persevere through the shock of the cold because it is worth it afterward.

— Nicholas Wallen

$0
$500