The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez pose for pictures before prom begins.
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

From Dust to Grace: What Ash Wednesday is All About

1 of 3 Stories Exploring Lent
Students+at+ILS+gathered+together+to+receive+their+ashes+and+communion+this+past+Wednesday.+
Brecelis Valdes
Students at ILS gathered together to receive their ashes and communion this past Wednesday.

Ash Wednesday isn’t just about walking around with an ashen cross on your forehead. It marks the beginning of the Lenten season, a season that’s all about reflection and repentance. It falls 46 days before Easter, not including Sundays. The ashes serve as a reminder that we are dust and to dust we shall return.

“Well, since I am a part of the school choir, I got to be able to connect with God in a way I didn’t know was possible. It helped me become an active member of the Church and especially during Ash Wednesday we had really good songs and attempting to learn harmonies helped me appreciate church more,” explained junior Camila Garcia.

But where do these ashes come from? Actually, the palms burned on the previous year’s Palm Sunday are saved till the following Ash Wednesday. They are typically mixed with Holy Water to create that inky texture.

“During the Mass I was moved by the participation of our school as a whole and as the Mass went on felt prepared for what was to come, the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ,” said senior Jadin Gonzalez.

It’s commonly known that on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent you are not supposed to eat meat, but why?

This is for two main reasons. First, meat has been seen as a symbol of prosperity throughout history. So by giving it up one day of the week, we are showing our willingness to make sacrifices for God.

Second, it’s a reflection of the life of Jesus Christ. He sacrificed his blood and flesh on Good Friday, so we should honor him and abstain from eating any meat.

Why is it important to reflect and repent during Lent? Jesus spent 40 days in the desert before beginning his public ministry. There he fasted and resisted temptation from things that would lead him astray from his father.

Today, we fast and give up something to help us be closer to God. This creates opportunities for us to reflect, pray, and grow as individuals.

Not only is it important for us to give up something, but also to take on something positive, whether it be spending more time with family and friends, doing small acts of kindness, or helping out to those in need.

What are you giving up for Lent? Here’s some inspiration:

“For this Lenten season I will be giving up sugary drinks and snacks. Although they are my favorite, I want to work on strengthening my faith,” said junior Joaquin Martinelli.

“I will be giving up being on my phone a lot. I feel like I’m not as productive as I should be because of how distracting it can be so I want to work on improving that,” explained junior Isabelle Silva.

$0
$500