The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Heat Wave Blankets Florida

Photo Creds- Megan Borowski
Florida has experienced extremely high temperatures throughout the summer months.

I think it was very annoying because it was so hot I didn’t feel like going outside and if I went to the beach the water would be just as hot as the land.

— Martina Tonkin

July 2023 was the hottest month on record for Miami, Key West, and Marathon with Miami averaging a temperature of 86.5. Some days the heat was unbearable with even ocean temperature up to 101 as Fort Lauderdale faced its hottest day at 118 degrees.

The question we are all asking ourselves is why has it never been this hot before? The cause is most likely global warming. Florida’s average temperature will rise between four and 10°F over the next hundred years. The summer heat index will increase up to eight and 15°F . Sea levels could rise by 8 inches (over 2 feet) by the year 2100.

The air mass over Florida has been very moist recently which has caused more humidity. The oceans and the atmosphere have been so warm on the coast of Florida due to the rising sea levels on wetlands and drylands. Although the heat has been insufferable this summer, we can only expect things to stay the same or progressively get worse.

Although climate change has been a very important topic of discussion for the past few years around the world, people still seem to not be interested in solving the issue. At this point climate change is inevitable because it is already happening. Although this might sound bothersome, we have to live in these conditions. The heat is predicted to stay until September, but there are things that we can do to survive during these boiling days.

Carrying around a mini fan and water bottle with cold water is always a lifesaver. Having water and ice on you is always the best on a hot/humid day. If you are planning on partaking in any outdoor activities, wearing light, breathable clothes is essential.

At the end of the day, Florida has always been known for the heat. Hopefully, this intense heat wave will soon pass, and the days of cooler breezes will here once were.

Since I do cross country in the afternoon, it’s been getting really bad and the heat affects my motivation to run.

— Lia Broder

The weather stopped me from doing a lot of things I wanted to do outside and just made me want to stay inside with AC.

— Renata Alvarez

A day in August after coming from the beach when the temp was a whopping 104 degrees. (Photo Creds- Hannah Brewster)
$0
$500