The Scammies 2024

Grammy Controversy Returns
Grammy winner Taylor Swift celebrates her recognition while announcing the release of her new album for 2024. Photo: Getty Images/Valerie Macon

The Grammys have often been regarded as the highest achievement a musician can win in their career. However, pretty recently the Grammys have received criticism with the audience saying that its all a “scam.”.

“I always felt that the Grammys were very genuine. I mean some artists do deserve their awards but others… not so much,” said Lily Blanco, sophomore. 

Most of these concerns come from the voting system that the award has in place. Many of them said that they don’t really know how the system works and what is the criteria they are looking for. Because of this audiences feel that the “fairness” of the award should be questioned.

The National Academy of Recording Artists and Sciences has shown some favoritism toward the winners they have awarded, which again lead to people saying that they only award commercial and generic artists, not showcasing the richness other musicians have to offer. 

“Some of my favorite artists have never won a Grammy, for example, Queen, or Lana Del Rey,” exclaimed Leandra Obando, senior. 

The Grammys have also been under fire since many artists have expressed racial and gender unfairness, saying that specific races and genders are under-appreciated. Again, this puts into question if the Grammys truly award music as an art form or rather continue to award an already existing industry bias. 

“I always feel that it just awards the same people over and over again,” said Andrea Celada, senior. 

While the Grammys are a highly anticipated award, all these accusations often just lower their value.

With all these critics, criticism that has been ongoing for years and not just in the wake of the recent 2024 award recipients, the Academy should try to fix what does not work so that they can truly appreciate the art and creativity that is music.

$0
$500