Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez, taking pictures before prom .
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, Lent and Valentine’s Day Collide

3 of 3 Stories Exploring Lent
A red rose, in this instance a chocolate one, represents an enduring image of love on Valentines Day.
Cristina Ramirez
A red rose, in this instance a chocolate one, represents an enduring image of love on Valentine’s Day.

This week also happened to be Valentine’s Day, which ILS celebrated accordingly. Glee Club hosted their yearly singing-grams, where students paid $5 to members of the club to serenade someone of their choice. Students were allowed to choose songs like “You’re The One That I Want” from Grease, “L-O-V-E” by Nat King Cole, “Can’t Help Falling In Love’”by Elvis Presley, and many more. SGA also sold dress down passes, stuffed animals, chocolate roses, and notes.

“One of my classmates during Chemistry Honors received a singing-gram in Spanish. My best friend also received one during lunch which I recorded with my iPad,” said junior Isabella Cardona.

These Valentine celebrations were held February 13th, however, because February 14th coincided with Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.

ILS celebrated Mass as a family, and were reminded that, “You are dust, and unto dust you shall return.”

As it was the first day of Lent, meat was not served at lunch , and it won’t be served on Fridays until after Easter. Neither will ice cream or any desserts appear for the rest of Lent, to encouraging students to engage in fasting.

Football, Lovers, Partying, and Faith are the MC’s of the week. The Super Bowl started the week off on Sunday, where the Kansas City Chiefs won by thee points. Monday was Valentine’s Day with singing grams sponsored by the ILS Glee club. Tuesday trucks on by with Mardi Gras, a celebratory day with crazy king cake, gumbo, Mujaddra Hamra, crawfish boil, gyro’s, and more during lunch time.  Following Mardi Gras was Ash Wednesday Mass which featured duets and other musical stylings by the ILS Choir,  including a special performance featuring Mrs. Lianne Rodriguez.

“It is usually always a beautiful moment to recognize our faith and celebrate together, and a reminder of the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for us. Lent, the time Jesus spent 40 days in the desert, is hard, but the sacrifice is worth it,” said senior Natalia Marrero.

This past Super Bowl had a controversial winner, being the chiefs.

“It was deserved,” according to Mr. Cotter Lamb, Social Studies teacher.

Many, however, said otherwise.

$0
$500