NEHS’s “Blind Date With A Book” starts on Valentine’s Day

NEHS+hosts+Blind+Date+with+a+Book+in+the+SLC+starting+this+Friday.+

NEHS hosts “Blind Date with a Book” in the SLC starting this Friday.

Ella Perez, Writer

In celebration of Valentines Day, National English Honor Society (NEHS) will be having an event called “Blind Date With A Book” on Friday, February 14th, in the Student Learning Center. NEHS has hosted this event for about four years and was started by former ILS faculty member and English teacher, Ms. Laura Aguirre. 

This event promotes the powerful message of not judging a book by its cover. During the event, students can pass by the SLC and pick up a wrapped book for free with only adjectives to describe it.

The students will not know which book they collect until they unwrap it. If the student enjoys the book that they received then they are able to take it home to read. 

The objective of “Blind Date With A Book,” is for students to be exposed to new literature and have something new to read for Valentine’s Day.

Members of NEHS have been preparing for the event by wrapping the books on the days of February 7th, 10th and 12th . Members were able to wrap the books with a nice string and pretty stickers. 

Senior and NEHS President Jacques Calixte is looking forward to this event and is excited for what is in store for the event.

“I am going to be donating a book called Around The World In Eighty Days by Jules Verne. It is about Phileas Fogg of London and his French valet Passepartout try to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a wager with his friends at the Reform Club.

“I’m pretty excited to see how it all culminates because I’m the president this year so the members of the club and I tried pretty hard to set it up, and I want to see people take the books and enjoy them,” Calixte said.

NEHS moderator Timothy Gamwell, hopes to share the clubs love for literature through this event. 

“We hope to share our love of literature with our ILS family. There are so many great books that sometimes it’s hard to know where to start. Blind Date with a Book takes away some of that pressure through anonymous recommendations and by wrapping up each book so readers are not tempted to judge any of the books by their cover,” Gamwell said. 

“Blind Date with a Book brings people from different classes and different backgrounds together through literature.” 

Being introduced to new books is important so that students can experience different worlds, time periods, and adventures through reading. Additionally, reading can help students become better at writing, vocabulary, and improve memory.

Come support the NEHS honor society by picking up an unknown book and enter into the world of literature.