Athlete Spotlight: Damian Carames

ILS+senior+Damian+Carames+was+one+of+the+most+productive+baseball+players+in+the+county+over+the+last+two+seasons.+

ILS senior Damian Carames was one of the most productive baseball players in the county over the last two seasons.

Staff

On Monday, April 27th, the ILS Instagram continued its Athlete Spotlight series by focusing on senior baseball player, Damian Carames.

Nowhere on campus does the Salesian charism come to life more fully than in graduating senior Damian Carames. A young man born in Cuba, Carames has spent his entire time on Earth trying to improve the lives of his family and those around him.

“Damian has grown so much since arriving on our campus,” said ILS baseball coach Nathan Gomez. “He is a great young man who constantly thinks of others first. He is intelligent, kind, dependable, charismatic, and empathic to those around him.”

Carames is truly an example of what a young Salesian should be. Don Bosco’s Oratory Model is based on the experience of the Home, School, Church and Playground. In everything, Don Bosco sought to make these elements alive and it comes to life in Carames.

Kids like Damian are rare and I’m just glad I had the privilege of being able to see it up close.

— ILS Athletic Director Nick Fernandez

“My time as an athlete in ILS was truly special,” said Carames. “I learned a lot through the years not only on how to be a better baseball player but a better person and leader. Playing a sport at ILS has taught me the value of hard work and dedication which I will carry with me the rest of my life.”

As an athlete, Carames excelled on the baseball diamond. A four-year member of the ILS baseball team, Carames has been one of the most productive players over the last several seasons. As a junior, he led the team in runs scored (19) and triples (3). That year he was second in batting average (.400) and third in RBI (15).

The ILS baseball program has always been a close-knit group. And this year’s team was no exception.

“My teammates are like my brothers,” Carames explained. “To this day I still speak with several of the seniors from my freshman year. The guys are awesome and I am very grateful for each and every last one of them. ”

As a senior, Carames took on the mantle of leadership as a team captain. It was a position well deserved. Despite the truncated nature of his senior season, Carames still flashed his college-level skill. He led the team in batting average (.450), on-base percentage (.577), stolen bases (4) and runs scored (7).

As a leader his senior year, Carames was able to build on traditions established by prior seniors. “We started La Leche my sophomore year and it carried on year after year. Our ace Zach Barrios even has a shirt that says ‘Donde esta la leche?’ He rocked this on the bus ride back to school after a huge win against St. Brendan my junior year. Our team was very close and we would always go to eat after school and on weekends. Those team bonding lunches is what I’ll miss the most.”

Carames’ time playing baseball didn’t go unnoticed. As a freshman, he saw an Honorable Mention come his way for the All-Dade teams. As a sophomore, Carames earned All-Third team honors, and as a junior he made his way to the county’s All-Second team. Based on his trajectory, Carames would have been a Dade-County All-First team member this season.

Over his last two season, Carames hit for a .425 average. For his four-year career, Carames finished with 61 hits, 40 runs scored and 35 RBI. He closes his career with 10 stolen bases and did not commit a fielding error over the last three seasons.

“We were blessed to have had him these past 4 years,” said Coach Gomez. “He has left an impression on the entire school and accomplished so much.”

As a well-rounded young man, Carames was also an integral part of campus ministry and other ILS traditions. He attended Close Up in 2020 and was one of the few students selected to participate in the Salesian Provincial Youth Council in 2018.

“Damian is the embodiment of a true student-athlete and leader,” said ILS Athletic Director Nick Fernandez. “He’s everything you would want in a captain: hard worker on the field, in practice and in the classroom. He’s a vocal leader that isn’t afraid of speaking his mind.”

Fernandez called Carames “extremely positive” and said he was “always pushing his teammates to be the best they can be.”

Carames has advice for the up-and-coming ILS baseball players: “Always listen to coach Nate. Not only is he an expert of the game but he’s a great person that always has your best interest in his heart. As long as you give it your all and work hard he will consider you and look out for you. ”