Modern-Day Crucible

Holland Ramos, News Editor

Photo of tour guides Stefano Chiodi and Camila Lazo.

Mr. Tim Gamwell’s English lll students presented their take on The Crucible by Arthur Miller at the retreat center on campus.

Inspired by true events, Arthur Miller’s The Crucible focuses on the inconsistencies of the Salem Witch Trials and the extreme behavior that can result from dark and hidden agendas. The play is based on the historical accounts of the witch trials.

As part of the curriculum this year, Mr. Gamwell’s class first read the play. For their final grade, each class had to come up with a project idea that would bring the story to life.

After many weeks of hard work and preparation – it was time to showcase the student performance of The Crucible to the rest of the school.

The class was split up into four groups: some students performed a mock trial inspired by the Salem Witch Trials as tour guides led classes through the hallways at the retreat center, or to the woods playing different games and activities such as searching for clues to prove the accused had engaged in witchcraft.

“ I’m so proud of my students. They took a small dream and vision and made a huge experience which was very impressive,” said Mr. Gamwell.

Inside the retreat center where the experience began, participants were able to take a “mug shot” using a Polaroid camera. Afterwards students and teachers explored the woods where they could see a mock crime. Finally, the participants were able to see the trial unfold right in front of their eyes.

“My favorite part of the show was definitely the mock trial. I loved how it was interactive and I think the students did a great job acting and setting up,” said senior Gabriel Arana.