ETC: A Retreat Like No Other

ETC host their annual retreat where students get to disconnect and make new connections.

Melanie Scheel Sikaffy, Features Editor

ETC, Encounter Toward Christ, is one of many retreats ILS has to offer so we all have a chance to disconnect from the virtual world and reconnect with the spiritual and interactive world. Although there are class retreats like Cornerstone, ETC is different because it is specifically made for the upperclassmen so more mature and contemporary topics are dived into. “There are many reasons [why it’s important], but for me these two are the most important. First, taking the time to intentionally pause, disconnect, reflect and surrender to discovering ourselves to the eyes of God is incredibly important. 

Second, the witness shared by all those who participate, that seek each other out to serve as reminders of the “work” I/we did within ourselves while on retreat. The journey doesn’t end when the last AMEN is said at Mass. In fact, that AMEN is the beginning of the REAL WORK we need to do to allow Hod to abide in us,” Mrs. Milagros Beltran explained ETC’s importance.

Students volunteered to have their witness talks where they share their experiences, lessons learned, and share in prayer. (Immaculata-La Salle)

This year the event hosted some newbies as well as some who have experienced it before. “For the one last year I participated because I wanted to help others and have a great time with my friends. But since this was my final one and I needed to grow on some things that have been holding me back, I took this ETC seriously and learned/grew a lot from it,” senior Francjose Lopez commented on why he participated in ETC.

The event took on various activities like dancing, acting out a skit, talks, adoration, and campfires—a fact many skeptics overlook when they decline to participate. Many who do, even with reservations about spending a weekend away from their usual activities, realize after the fact how incredibly worthwhile the experience was. I sat down with Ms. Beltran and students who attended on what they wanted to tell students who had those doubts; they all similarly answered that many think the event only consists of prayer. Although prayer is an essential part of it as the mission is to reconnect spiritually, they also incorporate the oratory model ILS tries to constantly reinforce: church, home, playground, and school. 

Ironically enough though, both seniors Catalina Mercado and Francjose Lopez mentioned they truly appreciated the most vulnerable moments like adoration and witness talks. Sure, they enjoyed the fun events but found value in the vulnerable moments. So if you’re still skeptical just take Catalina Mercado’s word for it, “The lessons you can take from ETC aren’t all about God but about life.”