Amber VS Johnny: Who Won?

Jadilah Fernandez, Executive Editor

Movie star Johnny Depp finally won the defamation lawsuit against his ex-wife, actress Amber Heard, after a jury concluded she  was the abuser and Depp the victim. This was definitely a case followed around the world, proving for some that men can be victims of domestic violence, too.

Here is a recap of events.

Amber Heard published an essay in 2018 mentioning how she was a “victim of domestic abuse.” Though she never mentioned Depp by name, he and his lawyers filed suit, indicating that the smear caused Depp to lose out on lucrative film projects, and that moreover, Heard’s claims were false. The jury determined that Heard acted with malice as she tried to lie herself out of the $50 million lawsuit.

Depp was awarded $10 million in compensatory damages as well as $5 million in punitive damages.

“From the very beginning, the goal of bringing this case was to reveal the truth, regardless of the outcome,” Depp said.

Heard countersued for $100 million, indicating how she only acted violently when it was necessary, and when she needed to defend herself. The jury awarded Heard $2 million in compensatory damages but $0 in punitive ones.

Overall, Depp has been overwhelmed with all the love and justice he has received, and hopes to bring his career back to normal after these allegations affected his public image.

“I am glad that he got the justice he deserved, showing society that men can actually be victims nowadays,” said sophomore Miranda Grande. Now, everyone can move on at peace knowing that justice was officially served, though there are still many who believe Heard was telling the truth.