Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024
These Images feature the different displays of Octobuddies for those considering purchasing one.
Octobuddy: Trend or Need
Aubree Arango, Writer • April 25, 2024

Anyone But You’s Blend of Humor, Romance, and Music

What’s Your Serenity Song?
Lucia Salazar
Natasha Bedingfield’s “Unwritten” streams have soared thanks to the popularity of the film Anyone But You.

Rom-coms are back!!! Anyone But You is the new spark needed for a romantic comedy revival. This movie proved that not every movie needs to be a cinematic masterpiece to be good. Rom-coms are built to be fun and uplifting, with happy endings all around, and Anyone But You gave us exactly what we wanted. The story revolves around two characters who, despite having a perfect first date, quickly grow a mutual hatred for each other. When they find themselves at a wedding in Australia for mutual friends, the pair pretend to be a perfect couple to avoid ruining the wedding. It’s a basic storyline based on Shakespeare’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing,’ but the comedic and romantic moments carried the movie. The movie would not have had the same effect without the music choices throughout the film emphasizing its uplifting aspects from artists like Dominic Fike, Mac Miller, Troye Sivan, and many more artists whose music is known for bringing those good vibes and setting the mood for the whole movie.

“I have been unable to get that one song in the movie out of my head. The lyrics are cheesy but true, and like the movie, it’s just a fun song and easy to enjoy. My friend and I play it every morning on the way to school, and it actually helps us get excited for the day,” said senior Andrea Celada.

Everybody has their ‘serenity song’ where every note and lyric makes you feel content and alive. For Ben, a main character in the film, his song is ‘Unwritten’ by Natasha Bedingfield. He says it helps calm his nerves. Because of this movie, Natasha Bedingfield’s ‘Unwritten’ has become popular again, with TikToks of people dancing and singing to the song, like in the movie’s end credits. The film shows how music has a way of healing, calming, and inspiring. Researchers say music increases dopamine levels and decreases the stress-associated hormone cortisol. Music has this unique power to affect how people feel and change their moods.

Junior Mia Suarez says her serenity song is any song by ABBA which will automatically bring her mood up.

“They are just so danceable, and everyone knows the lyrics, and if it’s ABBA, it’s always going to be good,”  she said.

Senior Alana Salazar agrees but also has her serenity song, ‘Sundress’ by A$AP Rocky.

“Some of my favorite memories are the ones where Sundress played in the background. Every time I play that song, it brings me back to those memories of summer, going to the beach and getting tan,” she explained.

Natasha Bedingfield
$0
$500