Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024
These Images feature the different displays of Octobuddies for those considering purchasing one.
Octobuddy: Trend or Need
Aubree Arango, Writer • April 25, 2024

Saint Baldrick’s Foundation: Shaving Heads and Igniting Hope for Childhood Cancer

Uniting Communities, Inspiring Courage, and Beating Pediatric Cancer Thanks to Saint Baldrick’s Foundation
Carles Navarro Parcerisas
This portrait of a woman undergoing cancer treatment features her touching her shaved head as a show of for support children’s cancer awareness.

Saint Baldrick’s Foundation is a ray of hope against the battle of childhood cancer. Established in the year 2000, with the approval of the Catholic Church, this organization is on a mission to end of pediatric cancer. In the center of their impactful efforts, is their well-known head-shaving event; a strong symbol of coming together, bravery, and a commitment to finding a cure for kids fighting cancer.

Saint Baldrick’s Foundation’s main goal is to fund research for better treatments and cures for cancer. Saint Baldrick’s Foundation recognizes the unique challenges faced by young patients. The foundation’s primary objective is to collect funds that go into research while still seeking for improved treatments and cures.

I thinks it’s so important that there is a fundraiser that is helping out with childern’s cancer. I feel like cancer at such a young age can really affect a kid’s whole childhood.

— Senior Luciana Hoyos

Saint Baldrick’s Foundation, mainly known for their head-shaving events, have willing participants named “shavees,”  who embrace the act of shaving their heads. This expression is showing support for children undergoing hair loss due to cancer treatment. Not only does this event contribute to fundraising, but these events uplift spirits and serve as reminders of the battles against pediatric cancer.

“Every time I do a big cut of my hair, I always donate it, but its so wholesome to know that there are people out there that are willing to shave their head to show support in the cause,” said senior Mia Huidobro.

Over the years, Saint Baldrick’s Foundation has played an important role in advancing the fight against childhood cancer. Through collaborations with leading institutions and the funding towards research, the foundation has greatly contributed to progress in pediatric cancers and targeted therapies.

What sets Saint Baldrick’s Foundation apart is the sense of community that is created by a shared purpose. This organization continues to inspire and unite individuals with the mission of beating childhood cancer.

“I felt inspired by the shave-head walk. Maybe one day i’ll participate in the fundraiser,” said senior Fernanda Ponce.

Beyond its fundraising, this foundation increased awareness, shared important information, and helped countless children in need.

$0
$500