Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024
These Images feature the different displays of Octobuddies for those considering purchasing one.
Octobuddy: Trend or Need
Aubree Arango, Writer • April 25, 2024

The Beauty Industry Impacts Men’s Health, Too

Part 3 of 4
An obsession with appearance, skin, height, fashion, and most especially weight, can adversely impact a person’s mental health. Photo: Getty Images/Filo

Society’s definition of beauty has always dictated what people are willing to do to themselves. However ,it seems women have greater susceptibility. In Elizabethan England, people plucked their hairline in order to appear to have a bigger forehead. In some cultures in Africa, people will purposefully wear jewelry to elongate their necks and even their ears. Lastly, during the Song Dynasty in China, women would bind and disfigure their feet to be more appealing. At any given time, the beauty industry reflects society’s definition of beauty, and that often comes with a price.

“I feel like even though body dysmorphia is something that’s talked about, it’s really focused on women- which is valid, don’t get me wrong, but I feel like men should also be included in these spaces,” said senior Jaden John.

With a growing emphasis on guys in recent years, the beauty industry’s influence goes much beyond its usual target demographic of women. Though traditionally beauty standards have been mostly linked to women, men are also impacted by the pressure to meet attractiveness standards, which can have serious psychological repercussions.

“I guess I’ve never felt pushed to look a certain way, but recently I’ve found myself noticing small things that kind of allude to it [body dysmorphia] in a lot of my male peers that are just kind of normalized,” said sophomore Ernesto Losada.

A major psychological effect of the beauty business on males is low self-esteem and unhappiness with their bodies. An excessive and unachievable ideal of masculinity, defined by chiseled physiques, immaculate skin, and impeccably groomed appearance, is frequently portrayed in advertisements and media depictions. Men may feel inadequate and self-conscious when they don’t live up to these expectations, which lowers their confidence and sense of self.

Furthermore, men’s issues with weight and body dysmorphia might develop as a result of the beauty industry’s unrelenting promotion of physical perfection. An obsession with beauty and obsessive thinking about one’s physical faults might result from pressure to achieve a particular body type or appearance. Extreme habits like dieting, exercising excessively, or even turning to cosmetic surgery in an effort to attain the ideal appearance can be signs of this.

“I definitely feel like I’ve been pushed to look a certain way when it comes to the clothes I wear and how I groom and present myself. There’s always a pressure to look a certain way  because of how the beauty industry perpetuates a set look for both men and women and it’s made me look down on myself because I feel like I’m not handsome enough and it also caused me to feel like I have to compete with other guys to have the best hair, or physique, and or smile,” said senior Sebastian Debora 

Men experience psychological pain to a greater extent as a result of the beauty industry’s emphasis on youth and vitality, since aging is stigmatized and linked to a decrease in attractiveness and worth. Men may experience anxiety and discontent with their looks if they feel pressured to maintain a youthful appearance through skincare products, hair treatments, and cosmetic surgeries.

Furthermore, men’s freedom of self-expression and diversity is restricted by the product of masculinity promoted by the beauty industry, which perpetuates old gender norms and stereotypes. Men who don’t fit the mold of what it means to be a man may feel excluded or devalued, which can worsen their mental health.

Beyond superficial attractiveness, the beauty industry has a significant psychological impact on men’s identity, self-esteem, and body image. It’s critical to acknowledge and question unattainable beauty standards in order to support strong mental health and acceptance of various masculinity expressions.

$0
$500