2020-2021 Virtual Orientations a Success!

Staff

The 2020-2021 school year at Immaculata-La Salle high school started in what’s probably the most unique fashion in the school’s more than 60 year history. With the COVID-19 pandemic still adversely affecting major metropolitan areas like Miami, schools like ILS are starting 100 percent virtually.

While this isn’t the start seniors or freshmen envisioned, this is what the school community is dealing with. ILS has taken great precautions with the health and safety of the school community in mind. Among those precautions is a completely virtual schedule to start.

Students in each of the four class levels checked in via zoom throughout the day to hear from administrators, class moderators and counselors. Teachers were part of the calls as well, getting their first look at the different students.

Find the opportunity to build yourself to be better

— Dean of Students Ms. Varese

As is the new norm for virtual school, students were in uniform, wearing their collared ILS shirt. Students could not be in bed, have a virtual background or hide their faces in any way.

Dean of Students, Ms. Colette Varese, addressed the classes first. She explained the new Zoom guidelines and referred the students to the Virtual Learning Plan, where each of these rules is outlined. Varese reminded students that ILS has a zero-tolerance policy for drugs and bullying.

“Find the opportunity to build yourself to be better,” Ms. Varese said to the seniors this morning.

Dean of Academics, Mrs. Luisa Serratore, spoke with students regarding their schedules, grades and performing at their peak. Serratore urged students to improve time management skills and be on top of assignment submissions. She said PlusPortals and the calendar will be key.

“You’re here because you’re wonderful,” she said the the freshmen.

Focus on things you can control: attitude and effort

— ILS AD Nick Fernandez

ILS Athletic Director Nick Fernandez spoke briefly during the orientations as well. He said the school is working closely with the Archdiocese of Miami regarding a return to play plan for sports this season. He urged students to adhere to all CDC guidelines regarding wearing masks, social distancing and staying healthy.

“Be positive and optimistic,” he asked the sophomores during their meeting. “Focus on things you can control: attitude and effort.” Fernandez hopes to have small group training start at some point soon, but admitted the school is still awaiting clearance from ADOM.

Dean of Technology, Ms. Catherine Campos, spoke to the students about the new Zoom protocols. Each student will have to register their Zoom account with their ILS email address in order to have access to their classes. She reiterated that the tech team is there to provide support for each and every student.

“I empower you to seek out your own help,” Ms. Campos said. She noted any issues should be addressed by submitting an iHelp ticket.

ILS Principal Sister Kim opened each of the orientations with a prayer and a warm message. “Welcome back to class. Welcome home,” she said. Sr Kim noted this is the year the seniors have been waiting for and said:

“We need you to believer in your own goodness and the goodness of others.”

Classes start tomorrow for all students, and it’s a Day 1.