ILS Football Dominates on Senior Night with 42-0 Victory

Anthony Yero, Co-Editor-In-Chief

The Immaculata-LaSalle football team (3-2) made ‘Friday the 13th’ a nightmare for Somerset Academy South Homestead (0-6), as they dominated them in their 42-0 blowout victory on Senior Night at ‘The Jungle’.

Junior running back Jarrod Carr topped off a 70-yard first drive with a goal-line rushing touchdown to put ILS up early. Immediately after, freshman Jaylen Morris recorded an interception and returned it for a touchdown. And after forcing a three-and-out on defense, it took one play for junior James Brill to take a reverse handoff 50-yards to the house to make ILS’s lead 22-0.

After an interception by sophomore quarterback Preston Landry, the defense made up for it on the ensuing play. Senior Kama Jackson IV stripped the ball out of SASH running back Joan Espinosa’s hands and took it back 66 yards for a touchdown. The Royal Lions continued their Friday night dominance with a blocked punt on the goal line by senior Alexander Munoz, which would then be capped off with a rushing touchdown by junior Jude Servius.

The defense generated another pair of turnovers following that, with sophomore Dairo Melendez recovering a quarterback fumble  and, later, sophomore Demetrius Johnson picking off an interception. It was Johnson’s third interception of the season and it gave ILS solid field position late in the first half. Landry, who started in place of injured junior quarterback Daniel Reboso Jr., made up for his turnover earlier in the match by tossing a score to Brill to extend the lead to 42-0.

”We just left all of the anger that we had from the Belen game on the field that night,” said senior Sebastian Lopez.

The Royal Lions scored 42 unanswered points in the first two quarters before honoring their nine seniors: Ruslan Asher, Jeronimo Canedo, Andres Davila, Eitan Grimberg, Kama Jackson IV, Sebastian Lopez, Alexander Munoz, Yaniel Rodriguez and Kai Vlaun, at halftime.

“It was a great feeling to close out my last home game after four hard years playing at LaSalle and walking through the tunnel with my parents was a so real feeling that I thought would never come,” said Rodriguez.

The Royal Lions would not score in the second half, but the damage was already done. SASH finished with a total of six turnovers and gained just 67 yards in the entire match.

Meanwhile, ILS enjoyed padding their stats. Morris finished with a team-high eight tackles. Jackson IV notched six. Melendez and Munoz both registered a sack.

On offense, Carr had his usual workload lightened, as he carried the ball just 10 times for 70 yards and a touchdown. Landry completed 9-of-12 passes for a season-high 131 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

Next up for ILS is a newly scheduled road matchup versus Pine Crest (3-0) on Friday. ILS is looking to put this enthusiastic victory behind them and simply move onto the next.

“It’s just another game,” said Grimberg. “We’re planning on winning and going on to the next one.”

After Friday’s game, the Royal Lions will close their regular season at North Broward Prep on Friday, December 4.