The School Rosary is Back and Has Brought Us Together Once Again

Melanie Scheel Sikaffy, Writer

As ILS has adapted to a new reality of masks and guidelines, we’ve been able to bring back some special occasions as we celebrate October–a month dedicated to our Lady of the Rosary. Although October is known as the “spooky season” or the “sweater weather” month, it’s important to remember it also commemorates a special day for us to pray with the rosary. ILS has always been known to celebrate this until COVID came around, but with this new year of hope, we were able to gather once more with the unifying feeling of faith. 

“It was, of course, special to be back together in a large group,” said English teacher and senior moderator, Tim Gamwell. “But for me, the real emotion was not so much the getting back to normal as it was the getting back to the fundamentals of our faith.” 

Our underclassmen, some of them experiencing this event at ILS for the first time, were able to join together in the breezeway.

“As a sophomore, we were able to be outside and it was very relaxing,” said sophomore, Mia Mena.

Meanwhile, the upperclassmen were joined together inside the gym, yet all classes were able to have a role in the rosary

like senior, Nayla Andre, “I volunteered to be a speaker because they needed a French speaker and since I [spoke] French [and knew the prayer] I was willing to help out,” said senior Nayla Andre.

Although things rolled smoothly for the royal cubs, Andre did face some struggles as she prayed out ‘Je Vous Salue Marie’.

“It was nerve-wracking. I usually don’t speak French in front of anyone except my family members so to pray in front of people I barely knew—I was shaking. Also, the microphone dying didn’t help because then I had to stand up and project my voice which made me even more nervous.”

Even so, Andre along with another student, was able to bring a new inclusion of culture into our prayer where everyone was in awe listening. 

Now, the best moment of the event was one the school prepared with different kinds of roses they gave out before starting the prayer. As I asked around what was the guests’ favorite part of the prayer, I was surprised to have received similar answers.

“Seeing all of the different student leaders stand up at the end of the rosary to offer a flower to close our prayer was beautiful,” said Mr. Gamwell.

“I’d have to say that my favorite part would have to be when the students brought up the flowers to the altar. It felt like the most relaxing part of prayer,”said Andre.

As we finalize the last Hail Mary’s with every bead we touched, our ILS community was able to announce we completed another successful School Rosary together as we come back with a new purpose this year: Be bold and Be a new hope. Can’t wait to join together again for our next faith-unifying celebration!