The Debate Team: The Best Team

Penelope Martinez, Entertainment Editor

If you are looking for a way to be more involved in the student body, the Debate Team is a great place to start because there are many benefits to being on it.

While only 50 percent of high school students in urban schools graduate, 90 percent of high school debaters do. They also score better on ACT and SAT tests and it’s a big help looking at college admission. Learning debate can help you develop excellent oral and written communication skills. It can also help you develop excellent critical thinking skills. You can develop effective tools for research, organization, and presentation. You learn to believe in yourself as you discover a passion you didn’t know you had.

Oral and written skills will grow as do strategies for discussions and disagreements. Debaters meet like-minded people at tournaments and build healthy bonds with peers. Debate teaches useful skills for other academics and life more generally because it is a valuable activity for students of all skill levels.

Many students at ILS enjoy being a part of the debate team.

“I am excited to meet all the new people who will join the team. I am also excited for the Harvard tournament and all the trips we will go on for other tournaments. I am also excited to bond with my team, catch up with the people who were on the team last year, and get to know the people who just joined this year. A typical debate tournament is usually on Saturdays in a school nearby. They are usually long and tiring but also fun. If you wanna join the debate team, you must be committed and you must dedicate time. It can be hard at first, but after a while, you’ll start to enjoy it,” said junior Eva Ricci.

Photo Credits: Eva Ricci