Depp V. Heard: Winner Takes It All

Photo Creds- GabboT
Amber Heard and Johnny Depp at the premiere of Black Mass in 2015 at the Toronto Film Festival
A screenshot of the Netflix documentary Depp V. Heard during the second episode of the trial. (Photo Creds- Hannah Brewster)

As most of already know, The Amber Herd Vs. Johnny Depp defamation case took place last last year, April 11, 2022. Heard and Depp appeared in court in Fairfax County, Virginia. The new Netflix documentary Depp V. Heard, dives into the details of what really went on during the two-month long trial. So far the ratings are not what many expected. The show has a two-and-a-half star ranking on Rotten Tomatoes. Called one of the worst “documentaries” for being extremely biased in favor of Heard, many viewers claimed that the docuseries was relying on random opinions while excluding experts and journalists to assist in telling the story.

The show takes an angle that many viewers did not support. It includes multiple tapes and YouTube clips of fans streaming the trial live and reacting. These YouTubers are seen flaming Heard and taking Depp’s side starting the #justicefordepp. The media was so deeply invested in this case that it was very easily manupulated.

For months all of TikTok created memes and short videos on Heard calling her a liar and claiming that she was victim blaming. They would take clips from the trial and cut out specific parts or post half a clip to make her look like she was lying to the jury or “acting.”

It was very interesting to see how easily people sided with someone without seeing any proof. There is a load of evidence in this case which proves that they both abused each other in some form. The case was Depp’s attempt to be able to clear his name and get his life back. You can see that the past few years were very long and intense for the both of them given the constant backlash.

On June 1, the jury reached their verdict, unanimously finding that Heard defamed Depp, awarding him $5 million in punitive damages and $10 million in compensatory damages. Heard was also awarded $2 million in compensatory damages in her counterclaim. Following the verdict, Depp said, “the jury gave me my life back.” While Heard said she was “heartbroken” by the decision. “It is a setback. It sets back the clock to a time when a woman who spoke up and spoke out could be publicly shamed and humiliated.”

This case was a very tough one, but watching the show being narrated by multiple content creators giving their input on the situation does not seem reliable. This case never really ended with someone “winning.” It was left up to the people to decide which side they believed. Ultimately, no one will never know if true justice was served.

$0
$500