Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

The Role Dogs Play in ILS Student Lives

Yeti+smiling+for+the+camera+in+his+blue+checkered+shirt.+
Briana Del Oro
Yeti smiling for the camera in his blue checkered shirt.

Almost everyone has heard the phrase, “A dog is a man’s best friend” at least once in their lives. This statement is absolutely true for many students at ILS who believe their dogs provide valuable companionship for people of all ages.

“My dog, Panchito, means everything to me. I got him when I was seven-years-old, but it feels like I have had him my whole life. He is always happy no matter the circumstance,” said senior Lara Carmona. 

Dogs can also offer humans unconditional love and help them cope with emotional struggles as well as develop social skills. 

“Whenever I am stressed with sports or my schoolwork, my dog, Casper, can sense that and sits with me and licks me. He reminds me that everything will be okay, and I can overcome any challenge life throws at me,” said senior Rachael Restrepo. 

Not only do dogs help humans emotionally, but they can also help them physically by offering safety and security. Because dogs have quick reactions, they often act immediately on things they detect as unusual or bad.

“My dog, Lola, always barks when a new person comes into the house to alert me of a potential threat,” said senior Maria Castro.  

As well as emotional support and security, dogs also help their owners stay active. Walking a dog daily is a form of exercise that also boosts mood. Other activities such as running and playing fetch are also forms of exercise that people do with their dogs. 

“I play tag with my dog, Coco, run around the house with him, and also take him out for walks,” said senior Sebastian Debora. 

A dog truly is a man’s best friend. Whether it be for emotional well-being, safety, or exercise, dogs play a vital part in the lives of ILS students. 

$0
$500