Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

Pride of Origin a Reality for Many Miamians of Latin American Origin

Hispanic Heritage Celebrated every October
Phillip Pessar
Versailles is a very famous Cuban restaurant known by many because of the even U.S. presidents have been known to visit it.

A hundred years ago, when people immigrated to the United States they were expected to leave the ways of their countries of origin behind. It was common to see the United States as a “melting pot” where the ethnicities and cultures of the Old World were mostly forgotten. But in recent decades, immigration to the US has increased and now many people view our cultural differences as strengths to celebrate—more of a “cultural salad.”

“My Hispanic origin has brought me a great sense of pride even though I live so far from my country,” said Jonathan Ramirez.

Jonathan has lived a large portion of his life in Alaska, but he refuses to let any distance separate him from his Colombian roots. Instead, he has integrated his culture into many of the things he does, sharing them with the people around him.

“I love the Argentinian sweet industry, especially their dulce de leche (a type of caramel). I also think Argentinian empanadas are the best,” said Thomas Bojanic.

Dulce de leche is must-have sweet in many households. Its unique flavor and texture gives many people a taste of home. This wonderful treasure is made by heating milk and sugar slowly until it becomes a thick, rich sauce.

A great way to use dulce de leche is by putting it on monkey bread, ice cream, etc (https://www.flickr.com/photos/25128194@N02)

“For the World Cup, I feel more Argentinian. Otherwise, when I go to school I am American and my Argentinian side is in the background,” Thomas added.

The World Cup plays a powerful role in the connection Latin Americans have with their Hispanic portion of themselves. Lionel Messi joining the Inter Miami CF team has drastically excited the Argentinian-American community. His presence on the team has made many people feel more connected to their Latin heritage.

“In Miami many people have a chance to connect with their roots,” said Pedro Pablo Cabal spoke.

With so many Latin American people in Miami, it has become a safe haven for celebrating Hispanic pride. With every kind of Latin restaurant, market, cafe, festival, and Hispanic people who thrive in all sectors from healthcare to business, to telecommunications and many more, Miami is the very essence of Hispanic heritage.

$0
$500