Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

The Dangers of Drinking Energy Drinks

Monster+Energy+Drinks+on+the+shelf+of+a+local+grocery+store.+
Mike Mozart
Monster Energy Drinks on the shelf of a local grocery store.

This poll has ended.

Do you drink energy drinks?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

At most sports games and on most jerseys, advertisements for energy drinks are displayed. In doing this, they grab the viewers attention and manipulate their judgment. Energy drinks claim to burn fat, boost your immune system, and essentially, make you have more energy. As a result, people believe that they are completely safe and cause no harm. However, this is far from the truth. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, energy drinks can cause dehydration, anxiety, insomnia, and even heart failure. Senior Miranda Grande felt the negative effects of drinking Celsius everyday. 

“I love the taste of Celsius, but I do realize that it is bad for me because I feel very anxious after I drink it. I used to drink one or two Celsius a day but now I drink maybe three a week. Reducing the amount I drink has definitely improved my anxiety,” Miranda said.   

Although the short term effects Miranda feels do more harm than good when drinking energy drinks, senior Jeffrey Lopez experiences the opposite effect. 

“I drink energy drinks because as a baseball pitcher, they help me feel more focused and energized, and help me to react to everything that is happening around me quicker,” he said. 

Energy drinks have high quantities of caffeine, more than coffee or soda, which is unhealthy for anyone but especially growing teenagers. Consuming too much caffeine can cause heart palpitations and high blood pressure. Senior Natalia Davila feels like she is aware of these dangers and prevents them from happening to her by minimizing her consumption. 

“I personally do not drink energy drinks often because I know that they are bad for your health but when I feel like I need energy, I do drink them to stay alert,” she said. 

Switching to healthier alternatives such as unsweetened tea or black coffee can give you the energy you crave from an energy drink without the sugar and is ultimately better for your well-being. 

$0
$500