Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

The SLC is More Functional than a Library

Allison Toll
The Student Learning Center, commonly referred to as the SLC, is used by most students as a meeting place, study hall, and also math lab among other uses.

Libraries are commonly found in most schools; ILS, however, lacks a library in exchange for the Student Learning Center (SLC). Many students were conflicted with the absence of a library, but most think the SLC has more use.

The SLC is “a place where kids can go and study quietly and escape the bustle of school,” as wisely voiced by Emma Space.

Emma, a sophomore at ILS, saw that libraries are the territory of silence which gives kids who are introverted a quiet place to recharge. While the SLC is quiet for the majority of the day, the frequent meetings of countless clubs interrupt the silence.

“The trade-off for the library to the SLC was absolutely worth it. It’s a lot better to have a functioning study center and the LTV room than a library where the books could be in English classes,Juliana Echeverri stated.

Juliana, a senior who took the angle of functionality over form, had a great point. The need for a library at ILS is often seen as useless because of the fact this school is an iPad school.

Nobody is going to read at a library at ILS, an iPad school.

— Isa Costa

People have been reading less, according to the book “Readicide” by Kelly Gallagher, referenced by senior Gabriela Costa. Apart from this evidence, it has been noticed by many that reading is becoming scarce.

“Students wouldn’t have to spend so much money on buying books because students could reuse books that could be used multiple times,” junior Keith Grupenhoff said.

Library fun facts: The oldest Library dates back to 7 BC. Librarians used to have a special handwriting known as “librarian hand,” and the most overdue book was 122 years late. (Ken Hawkins)

Keith took the side of having a library partly because of the increase in the price of books over the past few years. Many people have started to go to second-hand books and e-books due to the aforementioned inflation.

While both the SLC and a library have their uses, it is up to the student to decide which is better.

This poll has ended.

Which has better benefits for the school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

$0
$500