Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

ILS Celebrates All Saints Day

Casa Rosada
Pope Francis follows a centuries-long tradition of honoring the departed through Mass on All Saints Day.

When everyone gathered Wednesday, November 1st at ILS gathered to celebrate All Saints Day, also known as All Hallows Day, the opportunity served as a communal time to recognize all saints the day after Halloween. As Catholics, everyone is required to attend Mass on this day where the devoted pray to all saints, known and unknown, especially since All Saints Day is designated as a holy day of obligation.

“I actually had no idea why we celebrated All Saints Day until this year,” said senior Andrea Celada with an almost embarrassed expression. “I know we celebrate it every year, but I guess I finally matured enough to understand it,” she later continued.

All Saints Day acts as a memorial day to honor all those who have lived out God’s Will. It also serves as a day to remember those  friends and family members who are no longer on this Earth, having departed to their eternal rest.

“Usually on All Saints Day my family and I treat it like a Day of the Dead type thing. We go to Mass and then have a dinner,” recalled Lily Blanco, a sophomore.

ILS commemorated the day with a solemn and  beautiful Mass to celebrate as a community. Father Jesus delivered an inspiring   homily as he reverently spoke about about remembering those who are gone. Celebrating All Saints Day is a traditon that goes all the way back to Rome,where Pope Gregory IV declared it a very important holiday in 837 A.D.

When asked around if people knew any fun facts or how different cultures celebrate All Saints Day, Maya Martinez, senior, said “I believe in Austria children get this type of bread to celebrate.”

That actually happens to be very true.In Austria they receive a striezel, which is a yeast pastry that comes with raisins, poppy seeds or decorated with sugar. It is also called Allerheiligenstriezel for which the literal translation is “All Saints braid.” With the start of the holidays finally arriving, the Royal Courier wishes everyone a Happy All Saints Day and All Souls Day (Nov. 1-2).

$0
$500