Online versus In person shopping can offer the consumer a variety of choices.
Online Vs. Shopping In Person
Daniela Beltran, Writer • May 1, 2024
Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez pose for pictures before prom begins.
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

Style Spotlight: Fashion Industry Focuses on Sustainability

Victoria Harding
This photo Illustration reflects the existence of land fills and the hope for more sustainable fabrics.

The fashion industry has been the one of largest contributors to pollution and waste for decades. The blue waters of the denim world, in particular, have been one of the biggest environmental issues. The release of chemical dyes and acids poison fresh water sources usually in developing nations. In the 70’s when cotton prices rose, synthetic fabric became more popular. These materials are cheaper. They are also made from petroleum contributing to carbon emissions, are less durable, and the fibers are usually non-degradable.

“I personally love fast fashion because it’s really useful, but it’s awful for the environment,” said senior Nadia Pages when asked about one of the clothing company’s most criticized for their incredibly inexpensive products, Shein.

Recently however, the fashion industry has shifted placing more of an emphasis on sustainability. There’s an underscoring on raising awareness as the industry focuses on recycling and reducing waste. Some of the major fashion houses are experimenting with more sustainable materials and also recycling materials like polymers and synthetic fabrics. There is greater emphasis on cleaner and fairer manufacturing methods.

“We [Society] have been polluting and polluting, making and destroying for centuries and it’s become such a big problem that I think it was necessary for the fashion industry to begin taking these measures toward sustainability.”

— Isabella Alzati

The Istituto Marangoni, in collaboration with some fashion houses like Salvatore Ferragamo, is working alongside fashion industry professionals in sustainable programs. During summer 2023 Ferragamo donated 300 units of their past ties collections, to be recycled by the Students at Istituto Marangoni to create new garments.

Specific to denim, new techniques and advances in technology are helping. Examples include alternate natural fibers that require less water than cotton, the production of indigo from bacteria as well as different dyeing processes, such as digital spray, microbially assisted dyeing, and foam dyeing denim with indigo.

The luxury label – E.L.V Denim specializes in statement designs made from 100% upcycled materials, so garments don’t end up in landfills. This is another way that fashion houses are becoming more environmentally conscious.

“I think it’s time for people to start caring for the environment and trying, and I mean really trying, to save the earth,” said sophomore Camila Garcia.

While much remains to be done, many in the fashion industry are demonstrating a clear commitment to change the practices that have damaged the environment in the past in order to bring about a more sustainable fashion industry in the future. 

$0
$500