Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

Sea Up, City Up: Miami’s Changing Views

Aubree Arango
Image of Miami’s sunset over the ocean in Coconut Grove.

Once a vibrant city pulsating with the rhythm of the ocean breeze and lively neighborhoods, Miami has undergone a transformative journey from the past to the present. In the old days, the city showed how nature and a simple life went hand in hand. Palm trees filled the skyline, and the sea’s salty scent was always around. The cityscape echoed with the laughter of children playing in the streets, and the abundance of greenery painted a picture of a serene paradise.

Fast forward to today. Miami’s landscape has morphed into a concrete jungle, with towering skyscrapers reaching for the heavens. The once-natural coastline now boasts a glittering array of modern architecture. 

“As someone who has always lived in Miami, I would say the environment has changed significantly with the way things have become more commercialized,” said English teacher Ms. Kayla Gonzalez. 

There have been many positive and negative changes to Miami as Ms. Gonzalez reminds everyone that Miami is a central area that brings in many people from out of state who also want to enjoy what Miami has to offer.

There are pros to commercialism such as economic growth, cultural exchange, innovation, and development but the cons of this in Miami are income inequality, high cost of living, and the biggest one of all— environmental impact. 

With rapid commercial growth, there is increased pollution, traffic congestion, climate change, waste generation, etc. But with this being said, what can Miamians do to help the environment and their city?

“I have seen a bunch of changes in Miami especially the traffic congestion and all the littering that happens and I believe that there could be change. We could encourage and promote eco-friendly ways of doing things. We can raise awareness, and participate in environmental initiatives.”

— Camilla Souza

“Although I’m still young, I have lived in Miami all my life and honestly I think it has changed in many ways, especially the ocean. Miami is known for its stunning beaches and oceans but over the years I feel like the water has gotten foggy, there is more trash, and I honestly think it will only get worse with all these people moving here but I think we can educate others, do beach cleanups, and reduce plastic use,” said senior Estefania BouAssaf. 

As Miami transforms, it’s got its pros and cons. Skyscrapers and traffic aren’t everyone’s cup of cafecito. But if Kayla, Camilla, and Estefania can feel the change, sooner or later so will you. Don’t wait to feel the change. Start helping the environment in any way you can, today. 

$0
$500