Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

Private Jets Cause Environmental Impact

Part 2 of 3
Private+jets+aren%E2%80%99t+just+a+pretty+look+as+there+is+much+more+to+them.+
Jasmine Rassi
Private jets aren’t just a pretty look as there is much more to them.

While the luxuries of owning and or flying in a private jet were explored in Part 1 of this series, today’s article will explore a more serious side of flying and/or owning a private jet, the environmental impact which is something that cannot be ignored.

The carbon footprint rates that private jets emit are outrageous, not to mention the amount of fuel consumption that private jets intake. 

Yes, private jets may look appealing to the eye, as well as offer fabulous perks, but these aircraft only rely on fossil fuels. Private jets emit a considerable amount of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.  

Since private jets fly lower than commercial airplanes, which fly very low to the earth’s surface already, private jets then release pollutants closer to the surface. Not only do they effect the atmosphere, but they also cause noise pollution, which poses as a threat to  wildlife and any communities near the smaller airports which house, land, or take-off private jests.

“I didn’t know that private jets cause that much harm to our planet. I didn’t even think about our wildlife either. I just think about when they fly past us and I don’t like the noise of them,” said senior Andrea Garza. 

For anyone who was wondering how this is going to stop and be fixed, while still being able to have private jets as a somewhat obtainable item to have, there are companies that are creating sustainable aviation fuels (SAFs).

“I appreciate the fact that people are becoming more aware on how much the fuels affect our earth and are trying to find alternatives to fix it,” said senior Lucas Nelson.

Yes, SAFs are a thing, but it is still a rather slow business due to it being a higher cost and there being limited availability for it. 

Overall, private jets are an unmatched luxury that are very quick and efficient with travel, but the environmental impact that they have can not be overlooked or dismissed.

“I wish I would have known more about the impacts that private jets have on our earth, but honestly I’m thankful that I do now because now that I know that, it doesn’t irk me as much to want to fly on one.”

— Lara Carmona

$0
$500