The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

You have been Accepted to Three Universities: Which One Do You Choose?

COD Newsroom
This image of college graduates at a ceremony in the College of DuPage constitutes the culmination of their motivation to earn a bachelor’s degree.

Deciding what college to apply to, or attend when you’ve already received acceptance letters can be a tough decision. Seniors making a choice need guidance at this time in order to pursue the best option that will shape the next four years of their lives. Here are some important factors to remember when evaluating your options: 

Independence 

Considering going out of state or away for your first year? Your level of independence is vital to understand if you are inclined toward this undertaking. Before taking off, familiarize yourself with basic life skills such as using a bank account, ATM, credit card, cleaning up after yourself (laundry, ironing, dishes, replacing or cleaning an conditioning filter). Additionally, you need to be comfortable doing things alone like taking public transportation. Many teens people depend on their parents for these things which is fine as long as they stay self-aware and make sure to pick up some of these skills before considering going away. Living in a faraway place might not be the best option for someone who depends on others because they’ll likely feel lost which can disrupt their academic/social life for the first year. 

“I’m not sure yet, but I don’t think I will be going out of state when I go to college next year because I don’t feel ready to live on my own,” said senior Martina Diaz.

Experiences

One of the most important things when choosing a university is talking to people who actually have attended or currently attend the university. They will know better and usually be more straightforward and honest than someone who works there and just wants to put in a good word. Ask them about their experiences and things they like/don’t like about the school. Their feedback can help you decide if this is really where you want to go study. 

Program 

Obviously one of the most important things to consider when choosing a school would be the number and quality of academic disciplines available. Moreover, consider the job you want after getting your degrees and which university of your choice offers the best expertise in that field.

Cost

Financial considerations are a huge factor. Private schools are very costly and not everyone can receive enough in scholarships or financial aid. If you know it will be hard for you or your family to afford a certain school, it might be worth going to another good school with lower tuition. A big mistake is to get into debt because as soon as you graduate, you have to juggle making a living with paying off student loans. Also, investing a lot of money into your education is not a good choice if you know your future job won’t pay as much putting you into a financial hole.

Mrs. Ramirez, a college advisor and teacher at ILS shared some advice: 

“You don’t have to start at a fancy private school or university. You can start somewhere like Miami-Dade for example, which offers a high quality education and very affordable tuition. Remember that you’re not stuck and you can always transfer to another school after completing your requirements,” explained Ms. Cristina Ramirez, Media Director.

Environment 

Environment is one of the most important factors because you will literally be living there. If you can’t tolerate cold weather, don’t go to schools in the north where it’s cold. It’s always better to visit your top choices before committing to anything. Even if you can’t  visit, take some time to conduct research about how life is over there (culture, lifestyle, weather, people etc…). Knowing about where you’re going and being comfortable, and happy with how things are over there is essential. 

“You need to know yourself. Know what you like before just going anywhere. I personally went to Loyola University in New Orleans and loved it. Even though I  had a great experience, I would not recommend it to just about everyone because it’s a special and different environment that’s just not for everyone,” added Ms. Ramirez.

$0
$500