Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024
These Images feature the different displays of Octobuddies for those considering purchasing one.
Octobuddy: Trend or Need
Aubree Arango, Writer • April 25, 2024

Lotus House: Safe Haven For The Women And Children Of Miami

Lotus+House+Women%E2%80%99s+Shelter+Logo.+Safe+haven+for+the+women+and+children+of+Miami.+
Lotus House Women’s Shelter Logo. Safe haven for the women and children of Miami.

“Lotus House does an amazing job at serving and giving back. They are working for an amazing cause.”

— Steve Brewster

“I have been working at Lotus house for nine years,where I started as a counselor. I now supervise all the clinical programs here.”

— Stephanie from Lotus House

Lotus House is a nonprofit with the largest shelter for women and children in the country, providing shelter, resources, and comprehensive support services to guests successfully in shelter systems so they may eventually lead lives of greater opportunity. Lotus House strives to improve the lives of women, youth, and children experiencing homelessness by offering sanctuary, support, education, tools and resources that empower them to improve the quality of their lives on every level, achieve greater self sufficiency, and build safe, secure lives.

Their vision is that every woman, youth, and child experiencing homelessness will have the opportunity to heal, learn, and grow. It is much more than a place for a meal, a bed, and a shower. Lotus House provides sanctuary, resources, and multi-faceted comprehensive supportive services for guests in the shelter. They have supplies with the job of the shelter to give these women and children resources so the moms don’t have to spend any money. The women receive supplies such as diapers, strollers, bath tubs, etc. The also receive food stamps and health insurance.

Some of the women live there full time, yett have a job in order to help them maintain a stable income. They all need to have some sort of income to work on their transition from staying at the shelter to working. All the children of age there attend school. Ages of children range from babies to high schoolers. In the Children’s Village, Lotus House works by changing and transforming the trauma of homelessness into an opportunity for children to heal, learn, and grow to prevent ending up in homelessness.

The women can also engage in a number of programs during their stay. They offer counseling and therapy for anyone who struggles with depression, anxiety, PTSD and other mental health conditions. The counselors provide mental health assessments and links to psychiatric services when needed. Activities such as art, yoga, and meditation, are some ways to heal as they explore their emotions and release stress. These practices promote a healthy mind and physical well- being.

$0
$500