Salesian Sister Teresa Lee Visits ILS

Sister Theresa Lee’s debut on LTV!

Sofia Farres, Writer

Last week, Salesian Sister Teresa Lee came from New Jersey to visit ILS and speak with the students about her mission and vocation. She visited all the religion classes and made a video with a bunch of information for how the students can get more involved in the Salesian community. 

In the religion classes, she spoke about vocation and let the students ask her any questions they had about her way of life. 

“I very much enjoyed the talk sister gave in my religion class because she was able to answer many different questions that I’m sure many of us had about following a religious life to that extent,” said junior Andres Marques. 

“Her words allowed me to really consider what is important in life and how I should do what truly makes me happy.”

At the end of the week, after she’d visited all the religion classes, a video aired in the morning for all students to watch. She thanked the student body for the warm welcome she received. 

“From the first moment that I walked on campus, I felt so welcomed,” said Sister Teresa Lee. “I felt right at home, a real Salesian home.” 

She then went on to speak about how the Salesian family serves in over 130 countries. The Sisters run a service program, called Vides, that she was inviting ILS students to participate in. 

Volunteers work internationally to help bring about development, education, and solidarity for children, their families, and the poor. Students are invited to volunteer for a period of time from as little as one month to one year to help one of the Salesian missions in the U.S. or overseas. 

Through the Salesian lay minister program run by the priests, students are invited to serve from one to three years at one of the missions in the U.S. or overseas. Both programs are open to young men and women. People sixteen and over can also volunteer at a one week program, called Gospel Roads. 

For more information on how to get involved, visit salesianlaymissioners.org or salesianym.com/gospel-roads2.