Girls Volleyball Wins District Championship!

ILS+girls+varsity+volleyball+won+the+district+championship+last+night.+

ILS girls varsity volleyball won the district championship last night.

Staff

Miami Springs, FL — Last night, the Immaculata-La Salle high school girls varsity volleyball team defeated MAST Academy in four sets to win their first district championship since 2016.

Going into the district final, the ILS team was 0-2 versus MAST Academy, as their rival from nearby Key Biscayne won both regular season matchups 3-2 and 3-1. Although it would seem MAST, who went undefeated in district play this season, was the dominant team, a closer look at the stats reveals that the ILS team outscored MAST in their two matches, 200-189, a considerable margin in volleyball.

Miami Springs high was the host school for the 4A District 15 tournament, and ILS, the 2-seed, entered the match after defeating the host 3-0 on Tuesday. The 1-seed MAST defeated 4-seed iMater Charter for their spot in the district championship. Both teams swept the all matches with common opponents.

A raucous pro-ILS crowd packed the gym on Thursday night, and the players noticed.

“I was especially happy with the amounts of people that came out all the way to Miami Springs to watch us play!” said senior captain Isabella Falero. “The stands were packed with teachers, families, and friends! Shoutout to Mr. Gamwell who ran the crowd!”

It was clear from the start of the first set that these two teams were evenly matched. MAST took control early, and won the first set 25-20. Despite the slow start though, the Lady Royal Lions did not falter.

Freshman Angelina Cambo controlled much of the match with her steady play and she helped spark the team in the second set. ILS stormed back and, feeding on the high energy from the crowd, took the second set 25-17.

As is typically the case in a volleyball game where the teams are tied after two sets, the third set was crucially important. And the Lady Royals Lions were ready for the challenge. Junior Adriana Medina and senior captain Mikayla Sanchez-Torrelio made sure that the team wouldn’t falter in that third frame, and ILS won the closely contested set 25-21.

With the district title on the line, the fourth set saw MAST respond in a big way. The Makos pressed on their end, and controlled much of the set, coming within one point of forcing a deciding fifth set. MAST led 24-19 before ILS responded.

Down to their last point against a team that had swept the season series, senior Mikalya Sanchez-Torrelio and junior Adriana Medina sparked a dramatic comeback victory. The Lady Royal Lions stormed back from down five to win the fourth set 26-24.

A new district championship banner will soon find a home in the rafters of Don Bosco Arena.

The victory stands as the program’s first district championship since 2016.

“As a a team, I thought we were really focused and united under the common goal of beating MAST who had beaten us twice before during the season,” Falero said after the game. “We’re excited for what’s in store for us at Regionals!”

Medina had a record-setting performance in the championship game with an incredible 40 assists, and her service points in the fourth set won the championship.

Senior Madeline Cannata, one of the team’s top performers this season, led the way with 16 kills. Sophomore Christina Blanco added 17 digs.

Freshman Angelina Cambo was integral in the district championship. Assistant coach Melissa Capablanca said, “It was a game controlled by a freshman.”

Cambo’s steady play helped set up the comeback, which was sparked by Sanchez-Torrelio and Medina.

Sanchez-Torrelio finished the match with 11 kills, six blocks, four serving aces, three digs and one assist. Senior captain Isabella Falero added six digs, five kills, three aces and one block. Senior Camila Moreno-Bo chipped in with four digs.

Sophomores Kiara Alietti and Helena Marquina added seven digs and nine kills respectively. Junior Emma Callaghan chipped in with one ace and one kill. Junior varsity call-ups sophomores Sofia Moreno-Bo and Nina Zivolich added a dig and a block respectively.

First year head coach Danny Saladrigas led the team to a regular season record of 15-8, an improvement over last year’s 13-11 record and loss in the district semi-finals.

As a result of the victory, ILS girls varsity volleyball team advances to the regional tournament, and will host a regional quarterfinal match next week.