Florida Scholastic Press Association Awards LTV and Royal Courier

Ms. Cristina Ramirez, Adviser

Joaquin Martinelli, Chiara Cannes, Alessandra Merino, and Alfonsina Santucho display their certificates of merit. (Ms. Cristina Ramirez)
Royal Courier Entertainment Editor Eliza Chandler, Opinion Editor Ana Castillo, writer Hannah Brewster, News Editor Antonella Velasquez, and Sports Editor Maya Garcia.
ILS students from LTV and the Royal Courier gather at the end of FSPA Journalism Day at FIU. (Ms. Cristina Ramirez)
Some of the students decided to skip the sandwiches and take the long trek to a Chik Fil E on campus. Was it worth the long wait in line? Yes! (Ms. Cristina Ramirez)

LTV students Chiara Cannis, Alessandra Merino, Alfonsina Santucho, Joaquin Martinelli, and Royal Courier writer Alexandra Perez received accolades for their contributions to the annual Florida Scholastic Press Association Fall Digital Contest 2022.

“During the Best of the Best Broadcast presentation, I learned so many small details I did not know before,” said Lara Bagshaw.

Bagshaw was also surprised to learn how many points they can lose in competitions for even small mistakes.

Merino and Santucho earned an All-Florida for Broadcast Show Opening; Merino, Santucho, Cannis, and Perez won an Honorable Mention for Student Life Photo, and Martinelli won an Excellent for Student Life Photo.

Gianna Ferrara, who like all the other ILS students attended Journalism Day at Florida International University for the first time, Monday, October 3, was very pleased with the experience.

“I learned so much at Journalism Day. My favorite presentation was the FIU professor who impressed upon us the importance of journalism, reminding us that it is the cornerstone of democracy,” she said.

The list of attendees pictured were Martina Ottolino, Chiara Cannis, Nuria Dolz, Sarah Henriques, Camila Hermann, Susanne Mederos, Natalia Sabbagh, Lucas Barragan, Camila Egea, Mariana Triay, Lara Bagshaw, Martin de Armas, Daniella Coro, Isabelle Silva, Joaquin Martinelli, Peilin Aguilar, Juliette Egea, Gianna Ferrara, Katerina Garcia, Maya Garcia, Eliza Chandler, Lauren Boj, Bernadette Nieto-Ramos, Sebastian Loughlin, Gabriela Lopez, Ana Castillo, Antonella Velasquez, Hannah Brewster, Alfonsina Santucho, Monica Prieto, Colette Finley, and Alessandra Merino.

“I got to meet students from other high schools which was a lot of fun,” said Martin de Armas.