Bernadette Nieto-Ramos: Altar Server

Gabriela Pinate

Sophomore Bernadette Nieto-Ramos has been an altar server since she was in third grade.

Gabriela Pinate, Writer

Sophomore Bernadette Nieto-Ramos is an altar server, a person who volunteers to assist the priest during Mass.

In Mass a altar server, can help the priest with certain tasks, for example bringing the wine, ringing the bell, entering and exiting while carrying the cross.

Bernadette enjoys doing it because it makes her feel complete.

She wants to show her gratitude to have the life she does, she does so by being an altar server.

Going  to Mass every Sunday, listening to his liturgies, and serving the Lord makes her feel a strong connection with God.

Ever since Bernadette started altar serving in third grade, her faith with God has grown.

Altar serving helps her pay more attention to Mass, and to the word of God.

She plans on doing altar service at her church until she is 18 which is the maximum age one can be an altar server.

Bernadette receives one community service hour a week when she altar serves.

She currently has over 70 service hours, but she isn’t doing it for the hours. She is doing it to get closer to God.

When she turns 18, she will focus more on building her career, but she will still have faith and will continue going to church every Sunday.

Bernadette originally chose to do altar service, because her church was offering it and she saw it as a great opportunity to get closer to God.

She has considered doing altar services at our school but decided against it because she would much rather be with her friends during Mass.

When Bernadette first started, she was very nervous. Now that she has experience, she isn’t nervous anymore

If I mess up I just have to continue with the mass

— Bernadette Nieto-Ramos

Bernadette, feels a very strong connection with God, one that she can’t when she is just watching the mass

It makes me feel better closer to him, since I know that I am doing what he intended me to do

— Bernadette Nieto-Ramos