Don’t Give Up On Yourself, Give Up For Lent

Senior+Danny+Riano+receiving+this+ash+for+Ash+Wednesday+%0ATaken+by+Sarah+Henriques+

Senior Danny Riano receiving this ash for Ash Wednesday Taken by Sarah Henriques

Holland Ramos, Editor in Chief

Senior Eliza Chandler reflects on possible habits in her life to give up this Lent.

Lent is a period of fasting and repentance in the Christian faith, which lasts for approximately 40 days leading up to Easter. The history of Lent can be traced back to the early days of Christianity.

Giving up something for Lent is often seen as a form of self-discipline and self-denial, which can help individuals grow in their faith and develop a closer relationship with God. The practice of giving up something for Lent is not required in the Christian faith, but it has become a popular tradition in many Christian communities. Some people may choose to give up things like chocolate, social media, or alcohol, while others may choose to give up negative behaviors such as gossiping or complaining. 

For some it may be hard to identify habits in our lives that do more harm than good or take our focus away from God. Below I have formulated a list of ideas for potential things to give up this Lent.

1. Luxuries: Giving up luxuries, such as expensive coffee or shopping for non-essential items, can help cultivate a spirit of simplicity and self-discipline during the time of Lent. Giving up luxuries can also help you to develop self-discipline and to strengthen your willpower. It can be a way to practice saying “no” to yourself and to train yourself to resist temptation.  By giving up luxuries, you can become more aware of how much you have and be grateful for the things you might have taken for granted. It can help you to appreciate the blessings in your life and to be more mindful of the needs of others.

“I was trying to give up luxuries for the new year, but that failed. Lent is like a second push to challenge myself this year because I know by giving up shopping I’ll stop using materialistic things to feel better which isn’t good for me at all,” said sophomore Soleil Aurignac.

1. Time: Giving up some of our time, by volunteering or spending more time in prayer or other spiritual practices, can help us refocus our priorities and deepen our relationship with God.
  1. Personal comforts: Giving up personal comforts, such as sleeping in or taking long showers, can help us remember that we are called to live a life of sacrifice and service to others. By giving up personal comforts, we can become more aware of our own habits and behaviors. It can be a way to identify patterns of behavior that might be holding us back and lead toward personal growth.

4. Technology: Many people give up social media, television, or other forms of technology during Lent in order to focus more on their spiritual life and relationships that are right in front of them, rather than on a screen. Technology can be addictive, and excessive use can lead to dependence, which can be difficult to break.

“For Lent I am giving up TikTok because of how unproductive and useless I feel when I am on it for too long. I tried this last year too and was actually able to follow through with my goal, which led to more productivity in my life overall,” said senior Reynel Miralles.

5. Gossiping: When people gossip, it creates a negative and hurtful narrative that may or may not be true about someone. Not only does it cause distrust, it also wastes time and energy which can be spent on more fulfilling and productive activities. Gossiping often involves focusing on negative or trivial matters, rather than constructive or positive topics.

“This Lent I want to take a moment to reflect and remunerate what I am giving things up for. I usually find myself a few days later over the idea of giving up for example junk food, but this Lent, I want to challenge myself and remember that this is important for my personal growth,” said junior Miguel Sosa

Giving up just one thing this Lent can help your confidence and have a domino effect in your life. One small change will benefit you in ways you will never know if you never try.