ILS Football suffers tough loss on Homecoming

The ILS football fought hard against Cavalry Christian on Homecoming night.

Anthony Yero, Editor

Last Friday, the Royal Lions (3-6) hosted Calvary Christian Academy (9-1) for a Non-Conference matchup losing a tough game 27-8.

Freshman Demetrius Johnson celebrates his touchdown with junior Kiondre Glinton.

The Lions got off to a strong start, as freshman quarterback Preston Landry threw a 33-yard touchdown to freshman Demetrius Johnson on the first drive on the game, in addition to a 2-point conversion to start the game off 8-0.

Landry got the starting nod as senior quarterback Francis Coronado could not play on Friday due to injury. Despite the solid first drive, Landry was unable to keep the same momentum. He completed 11 of 31 passes for 136 yards, and four interceptions in the loss. 

With the season coming to an end and senior Francis Coronado graduating, get familiar to the name Preston Landry taking over as the starting quarterback. The offensive line did a great job protecting the quarterback, allowing just one sack against the strong Eagles defense.

The Royal Lion defense did a great job in stopping the pass offense, as the Eagles pass offense combined for just 34 yards and two interceptions. 

Sophomores Vashaud Williams and Jude Servius both intercepted Calvary Christian’s quarterback Gabe Contento.

Despite stopping the pass offense, the Royal Lions could not stop the run offense. Calvary Christian senior running back Emmanuel Joseph lit up in the run game. Joseph rushed for 214 yards and two touchdowns.

The ILS Football team looks to end the season on a good note on Thursday, October 31st, as they prepare for Scheck Hillel, the final game of the season.