Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024
These Images feature the different displays of Octobuddies for those considering purchasing one.
Octobuddy: Trend or Need
Aubree Arango, Writer • April 25, 2024

Style Spotlight: ILS Hoco Looks

JeepersMedia
Dairy and Guy Fieri were one of the many inventive combos illustrated by ILS students for Rhyme without Reason.

Homecoming Week is legendary for theme days which allow students to shine through their displays of not only fashion but school spirit. Here are some highlights from this week and some ideas for the coming days. 

Monday was ILS Color War where tudents were asked to dress up in their respective class colors; Freshmen were purple, sophomores orange, juniors blue, and seniors red. People truly went wild on Monday and showed their support by wearing all kinds of funky accessories. Many students took advantage of the SGA Swag Bag  sale as seen through the usage of the class shirts, tights, tutus, necklaces, hats, and bandanas. 

Tuesday’s theme was Rhyme Without Reason. Essentially, what this means is that you grab a friend (or friends) and you each dress up as different subjects that rhyme with each other—  However, the subjects should not have any correlation with one other. A few popular duos that were prevalent among the student body included Mobster and Lobster, Rapper and Napper and DJ and PJ.

Senior Gaby Rodriguez created her own signature look for Green and Gold Day. (Gaby Rodriguez)
Gaby’s class also decided to proudly wear their green and gold.

One specific standout duo were Seniors Leandra Obando and Maya Martinez as Dairy and Guy Fieri. 

“I think we were the only Dairy and Guy Fieri which slayed!” Maya Martinez said.

Wednesday was not only Class Skit Day but also the Holiday Showdown Day which had students dress up according to their theme. Freshmen rocked their Valentine’s Day theme, sophomores devoured their Thanksgiving, juniors showed their patriotism with their 4th of July theme, and seniors truly got jolly celebrating. 

“I think the juniors and seniors are tied. Don’t get me wrong I have senior pride and I love Christmas, but 4th of July is so Lana Del Rey,” said senior Maia Vedani.

Some freshmen dressed up as iconic Valentines’ characters such as Cupid, while others went a more simple route by wearing the colors pink, red, and white, as well as applying heart accessories. Sophomores arguably had the toughest challenge with the option to dress up in pilgrim attire. Many sophomores wore brown, red, orange, and yellow, emulating iconic fall colors.

Juniors donned either red, white and blue, as well as American Flag print. There were even some who gussied up as the founding fathers or bald eagles. While the juniors had excellent participation, the sseniors especially shone with a resounding success. Everyone was dressed in the Christmas theme, whether it was Christmas pajamas, reindeer/snowman garb or Santa-inspired clothing, as the seniors truly showcased unity as well. as holiday cheer. 

“I think SGA ate with these themes. At first I was really underwhelmed by Royal Holiday, but I’m actually having a great time dressing up!”

— Leandra Obando

If this is the result, then this Spirit Week will have been successful and future classes should take note.

The battle among classes continues to unravel with Thursday’s Decades Day. All students dress according to a decade which promises to highlight less systematic competition among students as there will be no correlation with their cohort. Creativity will likely shine through 50’s hoop skirts, mod dresses of the 60’s, 70’s bell bottoms, “Miami Vice” 80’s pastels, and 90’s grunge looks.

Finally, Green and Gold day will take place on Friday aimed at bringing the school spirit and unity to the entire student body. Here, the energy and creativity hyped up for competition between the classes during the previous days will be channeled towards enthusiastic support of the school. Th school spirit will spill into Homecoming weekend and the game and dance will carry the same enthusiasm. 

$0
$500