Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

Parking Wars: The Battle of the Bay vs Senior Lot

Aubree Arango
These photos reflect the diversity evident in both of the parking lots.

From seeing beautiful morning sunrises to simply observing students and faculty walking by,  at ILS there are two parking lots with one closer to the water but a bit farther from classrooms unless your classes are in the main building, and the other in the middle of the entire campus, but a bit farther from the classrooms in the main building.

As a senior, I was lucky enough to receive a parking spot in the senior lot, whereas last year I had one by the bay.

When parking in the bay, I was able to see the stunning morning sunrises, the random boats that would peacefully sail by, my last class was in the main building so I was right next to my car, but as lovely as all those things sound, I honestly hated it.

My car would get so dirty from the salt water and the trees. Not to mention, if I had a farther class in the mornin,g I would have to get out of my car earlier to make it on time. If I didn’t get there early enough, I wouldn’t be able to get a good spot, and when trying to leave, there would be so much traffic because of the cars picking up students.

Although I don’t reminisce about the bay lot and it wasn’t my favorite, it had some advantages.

“I actually enjoyed the bay lot because seeing the sunrise in the morning made me happy, but I do have a spot in the senior lot and it is better though I do miss being in the bay sometimes,” said senior Camilla Souza.

“I didn’t get a spot in the senior lot this year so I am in the bay but honestly I like it a lot because my car fits better there, the view, and most of my friends are in the bay as well,” said senior Nicholas Dominguez.

Now, this year in the senior lot, I am closer to all classes, I have my own assigned spot, the parking spaces are wider than those in the bay, I can leave later from my car in the mornings, when I am dismissed I am one of the first ones out with no traffic, and overall, I like it so much more.

With this being said, there are some things about the senior lot which are annoying. The views in the senior lot aren’t anything special. There I see buildings and some of the football field. When I finish class in the main building, it is a longer walk, and when the bell rings, students walk all over the lot meaning I have to be extra careful and patient which obviously I don’t want to do when I’m just trying to get home.

“Although I miss the bay lot sometimes, I love the senior lot and being able to paint it to my own liking was my favorite part,” said senior Estefania BouAssaf.

“I wasn’t able to get a spot in the senior lot this year and honestly I wish I could’ve because personally I think it’s so much more convenient and I wish I could’ve painted my parking spot,” said senior Michelle Rodriguez.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own opinions. I’m just grateful to have received a spot in the senior lot. If you’re reading this and hope to get one as well in the following years, go read my story “Expressing Creativity through Parking Spots” to learn how you can attain one of these coveted spots.

$0
$500