Junior Nahia Riveros holds the runner up trophy for the district championships in Track and Field.
Sports Flash for May
Nick Fernandez and Luna FernandezMay 16, 2024
The thirteenth birthday creole cake, using chocolate peanut butter frosting, for writer Miguel Suarez-Cabals birthday.
Creole Cake Chaos
Miguel Suarez-Cabal, Feature and News Editor • May 16, 2024
Sophomore Ernie Losada and junior Miguel Suarez-Cabal study for their exams weeks ahead of them to prevent cramming.
How to Study Effectively for Finals
Valentina Lanza, Opinion and Podcast Editor • May 16, 2024
The seniors celebrated their last ever Homecoming together, creating a bittersweet memory they will cherish.
Goodbye, Seniors
Ernesto Losada, Writer • May 16, 2024
The cultural elements and nature visible all around the ILS campus remind just how valuable it is to travel.  Photo Collage: Ella Baker
Traveling is Essential
Ella Baker, Writer • May 16, 2024

The New Addition to Thanksgiving

Friendsgiving Celebrations Occur Throughout the Holiday Season
Victoria Harding
Seniors have fun and celebrating Friendsgiving. Nadia Pages, the author, and Nadia’s boyfriend, James, who attends Somerset Academy gather for a Friendsgiving dinner.

The holiday of Thanksgiving has been an American institution since the 18th century. For the past 200 years, families have been gathering to express their appreciation and love for one-and-other. The celebration has long-since highlighted the Thanksgiving meal, always celebrated on Thanksgiving Thursday. Like Christmas, Thanksgiving has provided families a space to connect while sometimes bringing together complicated family dynamics.

However, in the last fifty years the concept of family has completely shifted. There’s been a significant decline in traditional family structures. 

“I don’t really like Thanksgiving because it’s too messy. Everyone always ends up fighting,” said senior Sebastian Pacheco. 

Because of that shift, the last few years the tradition of Thanksgiving has evolved. A new branch of Thanksgiving has formed enabling people who care for each other to celebrate without the need of kinship. 

Friendsgiving is a celebration where friends come together to enjoy a Thanksgiving feast. It’s all about creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere, just like a traditional Thanksgiving with family. Friendsgiving allows friends to show gratitude for each other and celebrate the bond they share. It’s a time to share delicious food, laughter, and create lasting memories. It’s a perfect opportunity to develop some new traditions as well. Thanksgiving charades, as well as the sharing of what everyone is thankful for are important exercises among friends.

“My friend hosted Friendsgiving. It was so fun! Great food minus the family drama,”

— Chloe Ruiseco

Friendsgiving can take place on Thanksgiving Thursday, but it can also be celebrated on another day, allowing for more than one celebration. The meal continues to be a highlight, whether it’s a potluck-style gathering, a themed dinner, or takeout. This can be a casual or elegant affair depending on what is most comfortable for the group.

“My family doesn’t really like to celebrate Thanksgiving so it [Friendsgiving] gave me an opportunity to take part in traditions I wouldn’t have normally took part in,” said senior Nadia Pages. 

Friendsgiving is a wonderful way to cherish and appreciate the friendships in everyone’s life, and may allow some of  to balance out those family dynamics which can sometimes be challenging over the holidays.

$0
$500