Online versus In person shopping can offer the consumer a variety of choices.
Online Vs. Shopping In Person
Daniela Beltran, Writer • May 1, 2024
Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez pose for pictures before prom begins.
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

Flooding’s Effects on Health and How to Avoid It

Marnanel
A typical site in South Florida after a tropical storm or hurricane is flooding.

Living in Florida, specifically Miami, everyone annually encounters floods that prove damaging to structures and communities but also, not as widely acknowledged, harmful to the health of citizens.

It’s no secret that a multitude of economic problems stem from flooding, such as limited availability of necessities, transit, and impaired lands.

According to riskfactor.com, “51% of all properties in Miami” are victims of this natural disaster.

Yet, what is hardly recognized is the threat flooding poses to a person’s well-being. Numerous health issues are attributed to the rather common occurrence.

“Exposure to contaminated floodwater can cause wound infections, skin rash, and gastrointestinal illness”

— www.cdc.gov

”, www.cdc.gov writes.

These seemingly mundane infections aren’t difficult to acquire and can easily result in severe and possibly critical conditions.

An additional and frequent outcome of local flooding is mold. The fungus has been found to cause respiratory problems and fungal infections harmful to individuals.

In a study performed by Fisk and colleagues, “they found that upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, wheeze, and asthma were more frequent in people who spent time in damp spaces”. (Fisk WJ, Lei-Gomez Q, Mendell MJ. Meta-analyses of the associations of respiratory health effects with dampness and mold in homes. Indoor Air. 2007:17:284-296.)

The question is how can anyone avoid or limit the effects of these sicknesses? Here are what some of your peers consider doing:

“I think if we were to elevate our homes and buildings, we wouldn’t be as influenced by the water and therefore avoid the diseases and illnesses,” junior Gina Weinstein said.

“Maybe if we had temporary flood walls that block the water or effective drains, our community would be less inclined to be affected by the unsanitary water,” suggested junior Alina Figueroa.

“If people avoided using or interacting with the flood water by not going back home until it’s told they are safe to do so or staying indoors, then people wouldn’t develop any health issues,” junior Angelina Wiltz said.

Keeping these tips in mind, it is important to be aware and cautious of the damage flooding can cause to individuals. Remain mindful and protect yourself from the harmful effects of flooding.

$0
$500