The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

A Guide to Digital Wellbeing

How to Find Balance Part 3 of 3
Meditation can offset the negative effects of social media by helping you become truly connected with the world and people around you, enhance your self acceptance, and increase attention span. Photo Credit: Oddstock
Oddstock

In the digital world, there will always be a discourse on the effects of social media. But social media has been around for a long time and has only updated and increased in abundance. Because of its permanent status in the world today, it is essential to learn how to keep a healthy and balanced online life: 

“When consuming social media starts feeling like a waste of space in my brain, or like I’m doing a chore, I know I need a break,” said senior Daniela Aguila.

How do you know when you need a break? 

1. You have become less proactive in your actual life.
  2. You find yourself comparing yourself to others online.
  3. You are feeling overwhelmed when online.
  4. You feel disconnected from those closest to you. 
  5. You find yourself having difficulty focusing. 
  6. You experience difficulty falling asleep. 
  7. You are constantly checking social media like it’s an obligation. 

The first step in achieving digital well-being is to establish clear boundaries. Define specific times for social media use and stick to them. Consider implementing a “no-screen” policy before bedtime to improve sleep quality. By setting limits, you can regain control over your time and reduce the risk of mindless scrolling.

How to Maintain a Balance:

1. The first step is establishing boundaries. Defining specific times for social media use and sticking to them can help you regain control over your time and reduce the risk of mindless scrolling. The blue light emitted by screens can disrupt your sleep, and if you constantly find yourself up late at night scrolling even when you know you should sleep, consider implementing a “no-screen” policy before bedtime to improve your sleep quality. Maybe pick up a book instead; studies show that reading before bed can lower your cortisol levels by reducing stress and giving your brain a much-needed break from the emotional drain of social media.
  2. Practicing mindful consumption can help.                                                                                                                                                               “Sometimes I will be scrolling on TikTok and see videos like those sad slideshows that bring my mood down every time and then they continue showing up on my algorithm, and it doesn’t help,” said senior Nicholas Wallen.
  3. You must avoid accounts and posts that feed that negative energy into your life. Practice mindful consumption by being aware of your online content. Follow accounts that inspire and uplift you, and unfollow those that contribute to negativity or comparison. Take breaks from news feeds when needed, as the constant barrage of information can impact mental health.
  4. Just as a healthy diet consists of different nutrients, ensure your online experience is diverse. Engage in a mix of content – educational, entertaining, and informative. Explore new interests, follow pages that align with your hobbies, and broaden your digital horizons.                                                                                                                                                                                                              “When I feel like I’ve been scrolling too much, I take a walk. It helps me get my mind off things, and taking in the nature around me allows me not to feel like my brain is rotting from the screens,” said senior Alana Salazar.
  5. Incorporating physical activity into your routine can combat the inactivity you experience while scrolling through social media. Use time off your phone to engage in activities outside the digital realm, take walks, or spend time with loved ones (off your phone).
  6. Designate a few hours weekly to disconnect from social media, review and declutter your digital space. Delete unnecessary apps and unfollow accounts that hurt you instead of help. Use this time to rejuvenate your mind and promote your overall well-being. A clutter-free digital environment can positively impact your focus and productivity and help you focus on your real life. 

Remember, the key is not to escape the digital world or avoid social media but to navigate it wisely. 

$0
$500