ILS Girls Basketball Finish Regular Season with Win

The ILS Lady Royal Lions basketball team defeated Franklin Academy 64-38 last Friday.

Staff

On Friday, January 31st, the Lady Royal Lions basketball team finished their regular season schedule with a dominant win over Franklin Academy, 64-38.

The win over Franklin Academy ended a tough five-game stretch where the team struggled against their opponents. The win, though, caps a regular season where first-year head coach Danny Arguello has a lot to build on. Perhaps the most exciting element of the season is the fact that this core will return for next year.

The team itself was built around juniors Camila Corvalan and Ana Sol. Sophomore Cassie Martinez de Castro was also an integral building block, but she had to sit out recently due to an ankle injury. That injury removed one of the team’s top scorers from the rotation.

In addition to those three, the team welcomed several new players to the fold this year. Junior Laura Hernandez played an important role as an offensive facilitator in her first year with the program. This season also saw the debut of several freshman, including the team’s leading scorer Mary Scheurele, who is nearly averaging a double-double on the season.

Against Franklin, the team came out focused and ready for the game. Freshman Mary Scheurele led the team with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Her twin sister, Cary Scheurele, added a season-high 11 points.

Junior point guard Camila Corvalan added nine points. Sophomore Cassie Martinez de Castro, and juniors Ana Sol and Laura Hernandez all chipped in with six points each.

Freshman Tiffany Davis scored a career-high eight points.

The Lady Royal Lions qualified for the district playoffs and travel down to Tavernier on Monday to face off against district rival Coral Shores in the first round of the tournament.