First Ever SALTT Fashion Show a Success!

On Thursday night, SALTT hosted the club’s first ever fashion show.

Arianne Cendon-Ruisanchez, Writer

On Thursday, February 27th at 7p.m., SALTT held it’s very first fashion show in Immaculata-La Salle’s cafeteria to raise money for the migrant Mayan children of Guatemala.

SALTT, which stands for Service and Leadership Today and Tomorrow, is a club dedicated to helping migrant workers and their families in South Florida. For decades, students have come together to help facilitate the lives of these astounding people.

The show began with a heart-warming introduction from Ms. De La Guardia to Father Frank O’Loughlin, who has spent the last 50 years advocating for migrant workers. He gave a brief speech about his work at the Guatemalan-Maya Center and the true purpose behind the fashion show that was about to commence.

The show began with the Lot 11 attire. Student models strutted down the runway one after the other, each offering something unique and stylish to the mix. There were skateboards, beanies, clothes layered, and an awful lot of handshakes shared between the group.

Members of the SALTT club participated in the Fashion Show as models, tech or makeup artists.

Next came the Wynwood theme in which the models dressed more casual. It was streetwear dressed up and down from left to right. There was smoke shooting from the sides of the stage to give the show the full Wynwood effect.

After these two categories, there was a short intermission in which Petrona, a former Guatemalan-Maya student, performed a beautiful cultural dance alongside her sister.

Petrona is the first ever Guatemalan migrant individual that has graduated high school. Through SALTT, she has been able to attend college for free. Events such as the SALTT fashion show help finance such amazing things!

After her performance, a short tribute was made to former alumni who have continued to work with SALTT despite no longer being students at ILS.

Brickell City Center followed shortly after. Students fancied up their outfits a bit more as the night progressed. Girls came out in skirts, two-piece sets, and heels. Boys dressed comfortable with a touch of glamour.

Last came Fountainbleu: formal attire. The young ladies and boys were dressed in button downs and short sparkly dresses to resemble the lively atmosphere of Miami’s very own South Beach. The music was upbeat and it had everyone on the tip of their toes.

Student models had an amazing experience and are looking forward to this event being repeated in their upcoming years at La Salle. Junior Sofia Arteaga was one of those lucky individuals.

“It felt kind of scary to model in front of all of those people. But, remembering the cause and purpose of the event gave me an incentive to carry myself with passion and have fun with it,” said Arteaga.

Junior Charlize Ramos believed the show was a tremendous success. It was amazing to see so many people come together to support the migrant children SALTT fights so passionately about.

“Considering it was a new event, I think all SALTT members did an amazing job and contributed to the overall success,” said Ramos. “The incredible feedback will allow this event to continue for many more years!”