New Social Distancing Guidelines

Paola Rodriguez, Writer

The COVID-19 outbreak has caused business to close, and has restricted citizens to stay indoors. President Trump has recently announced the extension of re-opening all businesses and schools until the end of April, beginning of May. The President also stated how he was expecting the country to be on its way to recovery by June 1.

The World Health Organization recommends you do the following, in an attempt to stay safe during this pandemic:

– Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
– Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue or flexed elbow when you cough or sneeze
– Avoid close contact (1 meter or 3 feet) with people who are unwell
– Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell

Pullquote Photo

Keep you feet on the ground but your heart in Heaven!

— Don Bosco

Some states have Coronavirus drive-thru testing. Below are a list of testing drive thrus in Florida:

-Hard Rock Stadium, East Parking Lot- 347 Don Shula Drive, Miami Gardens. Open Mondays through a Fridays from 9AM, until resources run out each day. Open to patients 65 or older, first responders, and health care workers.
-Memorial Healthcare, the Florida National Guard and the Florida Department of Health at C.B. Smith Park’s park-and-ride lot, 900 N. Flamingo Road, Pembroke Pines. Open at 7:30AM to 5:30PM. The site is open to patients 65 or older that are showing symptoms of the new Coronavirus.
-Ballpark of the Palm Beaches, 5444 Haverhilll Road, West Palm Beach. Opens at 8AM, and closes at 5PM. The test results come back in 48-72 hours.
-Cleveland Clinic Weston’s Krupa Center, 3250 Meridian Parkway, Weston. Open 8AM-5PM, Monday through Friday.

According to the Florida Department of Education, all school campuses will remain closed through May 1, 2020. All remaining assessments for school readiness, voluntary prekindergarten and K-12 assessments are cancelled for the 2019-2020 school year.

The Florida Department of Education also recommends for parents to reach out to specific school district websites for more information on their specific instructional continuity plan.

Immaculata-LaSalle has virtual school until further notice, and has also cancelled all finals for the remainder of the year. Summative exams will be administered every two to three weeks in each virtual class, and will be worth more towards the students’s fourth quarter grade.

Some states have even had tenants in apartments singing to the other balconies. In Brickell, people in their balconies banged on pots and pans, and even played music for residents to here and sing along to. This is a clip by- Junior, Daniela Robles from her apartment building.

Earlier this week, ILS principal Sister Kim reached out to the school community via email.

“I want to assure our Seniors, Class of 2020, that once we are able to gather again as a school community, sooner or later, we will have a Prom and Graduation Ceremony for you,” Sr. Kim said via email. “It is important, for all of us, to join together as an ILS family before you leave for college.”

She went on to urge students not to worry. “For now enjoy this new virtual learning experience because it will help you in the future, even in college…we are taking one day at a time, making very unique memories together.”

Finally, Sr. Kim urged everyone to “remember the mural you painted using Don Bosco’s words: ‘Keep you feet on the ground but your heart in Heaven!'”

ILS is praying for you and your families, as well as the victims of this pandemic. Stay safe!