ILS Girls Basketball Opens the Season with a Win

The+ILS+girls+basketball+team+showed+a+great+deal+of+fight+in+their+comeback+against+North+Broward+Prep.+

The ILS girls basketball team showed a great deal of fight in their comeback against North Broward Prep.

Staff

The ILS girls basketball teams started their 2020 season with an important win over North Broward Prep. It was a closely contested ballgame, but the Lady Royal Lions played well and won the road contest, 52-48.

Coming off of a 8-14 season, the ILS girls basketball program seeks a bounce back season, and the opening performance against a tough North Broward Prep team proved the Lady Royal Lions have potential for this season.

“I always push my kids to new limits. The best way to describe how I view development is that I’m not coaching you for who you are now, I am coaching you as the person I feel you could be,” said ILS girls basketball head coach Danny Arguello.

That resiliency showed in this road matchup.

The North Broward Prep Eagles team took the early lead in this game, holding a 19-17 advantage after one quarter. ILS bounced back in second, though, taking a one-point lead into the half. In the third quarter, the Lady Royal Lions extended their lead to four points. In the fourth quarter, the team rallied, scoring clutch baskets and making key defensive stops to secure their first victory of the season.

Senior point guard Camila Corvalan led the way in the first game. She scored a team-high 14 points, including a pair of three-pointers. She also distributed two assists, nabbed two steals and recorded a block.

“Last year’s season, we had a great group of girls with a lot of potential that have come back this year,” said Corvalan. “There were major improvements from many of the freshmen and I’m excited to see them and everyone else be even better for this season. The team is currently conditioning and we’re slowly getting back in the gym and grinding hard for the season.”

Sophomore Mary Scheuerle recorded her first double-double of the season, scoring 11 points and grabbing an incredible 17 rebounds. Her 10 offensive rebounds really helped turn the tide in this game and get the Lady Royal Lions extra possessions and additional shot attempts.

Rachel Restrepo played well in her first high school contest. The freshman scored 13 points, hitting a pair of three-pointers. Restrepo also grabbed five rebounds and had two assists.

Sophomore Cary Scheuerle added four points and nine rebounds. Freshman Catherine Barrabes scored four points and junior Victoria Acosta scored two. Senior Ana Sol chipped in a three-pointer.

“I’m more confident in how the upcoming year will treat my team because I  believe we all have so much potential and have our own qualities that help unite us,” said Sol. “I am so confident this team will be stronger than ever.”

The ILS Lady Royal Lions basketball team will look to continue their winning ways with upcoming December games against Somerset Academy, Florida Christian and iMater Charter.