Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024
These Images feature the different displays of Octobuddies for those considering purchasing one.
Octobuddy: Trend or Need
Aubree Arango, Writer • April 25, 2024

The Dreaded Late Pass is Here to Stay

Best Excuses to Get Out of a Late Pass
Eva de la Torre
10 October – (7:47am) Behind the closed Attendance Office door, over 10 students wait in line for Mrs. Ana Garciga to write them a late pass.

Everyday students try to “pull a fast one” by coming up with excuses to get out of a late pass. No matter how often they fail, it seems many students believe their excuse will work.

“Rydborn was talking to me in the hallway, you can ask him, you can ask him,” Ms. Adrian Arrieta said, mimicking the common excuse used by her students.

Ranging from believable to absurd, student excuses never fail to amuse.

I have little legs,

— Mr Tim Gamwell

said one of Mr. Tim Gamwell’s students.

You would think as we get further into the year, students would realize their excuses won’t work.

“Shaheen, my feet hurt. Shaheen, my teacher held me back. Shaheen, traffic was bad,”  shared Mr. Nick Shaheen of the litany of. excuses he regularly hears.

Some students actually incorporate irony without realizing it.

“A freshman told me that seniors walk too slowly,” Mr. Gamwell said.

“The freshmen walk too slow and everyone knows that,” he stated in a factual tone explaining how ridiculous the accusation was because, of course, the seniors can do no wrong.

Some excuses simply boggle the mind at how ridiculous they are. Mr. Gamwell presented one such incident.

“They forgot their iPad in a classroom but then wanted to use that same iPad to make an E-Hallpass,” he said.

The student had been late and used the iPad as an excuse but then wanted to make a pass with his iPad to retrieve his iPad. A confusing but interesting interaction to say the least.

“There’s no best excuses. I still send them down,” said Ms. Arrieta firmly stating that although amusing, the excuses lead nowhere but downstairs to the Attendance Office.

Try your best if you must, but know that ultimately you will be sent to the Attendance Office to wait in line for your dreaded late pass.

$0
$500