The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

SNL Invites Bad Bunny to Host after Lengthy Hiatus

Some Wonder Whether this was the Right Direction
Bad+Bunny+hosts+Saturday+Night+Live+October+21.+
Valentina Lanza
Bad Bunny hosts Saturday Night Live October 21.

As controversy is never lacking, therefore Saturday Night Live, an American comedy sketch show based in New York City featuring celebrity guests hosts has been no exception to the infectious dilemma.

“Late-night comedy talk show stopped live production on May 2, 2023, amid a strike initiated by WGA,” reads the website snopes.com.

When SNL writers supported the 146-day strike demanding certain changes in their profession, SNL effectively went off the airwaves.

The strike “largely focused around wage increases, higher residual payments for streaming platform shows, and protections around the use of artificial intelligence,” according www.forbes.com.

The strike provided substantial gain when work resumed after seeing extensive progress. Consequently, the SNL production was able to resurface October 14.

“The show will return on October 14, marking its 49th season. Our first host back is Pete Davidson, who was scheduled to host the episode that got canned due to the strike,” announced www.vulture.com.

On the second performance since the show’s return, Bad Bunny, rapper and singing sensation, filled in the role of entertainer and musician alongside actor Pedro Pascal.

“SNL returned for another new episode of Season 49 on Saturday, Oct. 21, with Bad Bunny taking on double duty as host and musical guest,” nbcnews.com reported.

Despite merely being his third time on the show, fans, as usual, had their judgments over his performance including ILS students who are familiar with the well known Puerto Rican singer.

“I found it very funny, and I really enjoyed how he incorporated Spanish in his script,” shared junior Mia Niebruegge.

In contrast, some felt his performance was lacking and hosted an uncomfortable show.

“In my opinion, I didn’t find acting as a Hispanic mom funny. It was a little offensive and made it awkward to watch,” said sophomore Camila Garcia.

These opposing opinions are just examples of the debate whether his appearance was beneficial to SNL’s return or harmful. After abandoning viewers for so long, SNL had an expectation to fulfill and Bad Bunny’s show had an inconclusive effect. For some, it surpassed their assumptions while others were left disappointed.

$0
$500