Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024
These Images feature the different displays of Octobuddies for those considering purchasing one.
Octobuddy: Trend or Need
Aubree Arango, Writer • April 25, 2024

Girls’ Track Team Secured 1st Place Out Of 12 Teams

Sports Flash
Senior Mariam Osman focuses prepares herself for the javelin event at the meet. Photo: Courtesy Photos by Coro-Senior Daniella Coro

Hello, ILS Family!

Softball: ILS Softball had their home opener against District rival SLAM lastTuesday night. The Lady Royals won 18 to 3 in three innings. Senior Jasmine Finley started in the circle and earned the win. Freshman Melissa Carrasco closed the game with five straight strikeouts!  She also had two hits on the night a single, triple, and she had five RBI’s. Emma Space also had five RBIs off three hits, but the hit of the night went to senior Ashley Fonseca who hit her first home run of the season.  Junior Daysi Gonzalez had three hits and was perfect behind the plate.

The team also had a match up against Marathon High school. The team lost the game 2-8. That puts the team 1-1 after the first week of games as they look to get back on track this week.

Track: Track and Field had an outstanding start to their season. The girls’ team secured 1st place out of 12 teams, while the boys’ team achieved an impressive 2nd place. This exceptional performance led to the Royals being crowned 1st place overall as a team.

A big commend to senior Emilie Reyes, junior Nahia Riveros, and freshman Krystal Inhoof for their exceptional 1st place finishes in their respective events. Additionally, junior Ayana Minobe, senior Colette Finley, and sunior Candy Cruz delivered strong performances, securing 2nd place in their events.

The boys’ team demonstrated their collective effort, with seniors Jordan Adams, Lawrence Finley, and Emmanuel Roca taking 1st place in their events. Junior Rashad Lee and sophomore Daniel Brito also contributed significantly, securing 2nd place finishes. The relay teams were exceptional as well, with the boys’ 4x100m relay, boys’ 4x400m relay, and one of our girls’ 4x400m relays all claiming 1st place.

Furthermore, let’s highlight the remarkable achievement of breaking five school records. Freshman Krystal Inhoof set a record in the triple jump, junior Candy Cruz in discus, senior Lawrence Finley in the 400m hurdles, senior Emmanuel Roca in the 3200m, and the boys’ 4x100m relay team consisting of senior Jordan Adams, junior Rashad Lee, junior Joel Salien, and sophomore Daniel Marin.

The Royals Track team is poised to continue their impressive start at the next track meet February 26th at Monsignor Pace HS. Best of luck to the team!

Tennis: This past Tuesday the boys and girls played host to Don Soffer. This was the first meeting between the schools, so not much was known about the opponent. Both teams came out strongly finishing the singles with the lead. The girls were able to finish the singles up 4-1 and the boys finished up 3-2 going into the doubles. On the girl’s side, Isabella Puglisi got an 8-1 win, Gabriella Punzo and Agatha Morrsion both got 8-0 wins and Valeria Macineras came away with a 8-3 win. In the doubles, the girl’s number two dispatched Don Soffer 6-0 to give ILS a 5-1 lead. The doubles number 1 pairing of Sabrina and Isabella came from behind to get the match into a tie break where they ran away with a 7-0 win to finish the match 7-6 and give the girls a 6-1 win overall. On the boy’s side, the top three boys of Joshua Hernandez, Simon Munera and Vigo Andux got enough victories that we had the lead going into the doubles. Unfortunately, the doubles team couldn’t keep the Don Soffer players out of their heads during the game and couldn’t quite get over the finish line, losing both doubles matches 6-4 which meant the overall team score was a 4-3 loss.

This week the girls team play host to St Brendan on Wednesday and both teams play host to Divine Savior on the Wednesday. The boys look to bounce back, and the girls look to get another win.

Beach: The beach team dropped its tough opening match up against Westminster Christian. They look to bounce back this week as they get to have their first home game of the season.

Baseball: The Varsity Baseball Team lost their home opener Wednesday against a competitive Somerset Silver Palms team 5-4, in a game that was decided in the last inning. Although the team lost, they showed a lot of promise and with a deep young core of talented players they are looking forward to getting back on track this week with games on Tuesday @ Dade Christian and Thursday @ ACC.

The JV Baseball team is off to a 2-0 start as they swept their Double Header this past weekend vs Miami Senior High School.

JV’s next double header will be March 9th @ Archbishop Coleman Carrol.

First game final Score 7-2
Top performers:
George Garcia 1-2 RBI Double and 2 walks
Jonny Quintana 1-2 1Run and a stolen base
Jeremy Fornos Winning pitcher 4.0 innings 8 strikeouts

Second game final Score 6-0
Top performers:
Brandon Nuñez Winning Pitcher 5.0 innings 12 strikeouts and 0 hits allowed
Jonny Quintana 1-2 2 RBI Double
Alex Caneiro 1-2 RBI Double
Daniel Gonzalez 1-3 RBI Double

Lacrosse: The Lacrosse team dropped a heartbreaker at home this Friday. They jumped out to an early lead against Taravella. After half time, they let up a couple goals and ended up losing the game 8-9. They look to get back on the winning track with a match-up against St. Brendan this week.

Upcoming Sports Schedule:

Tuesday, February 27, 2024: Softball team hosts Carrollton at Palmetto Bay Park for a match.

Beach Volleyball home opener vs Carrollton on our beach courts.

Baseball travels to Dade Christian for a first pitch.

Lacrosse travels to St. Brendan for a match.

Wednesday, February 28, 2024: Tennis team hosts St. Brendan at Crandon Park.

Track team travels to Pace for its 2nd meet of the year.

Thursday, February 29, 2024: Boys Volleyball Preseason Tri-match in the Lion’s Den! Boys team plays vs Alonzo Mourning High School and Barbra Goleman High School.

Beach Volleyball travels to Chaminade for a match.

Softball travels to Ransom for a first pitch at the Boys and Girls club.

Baseball travels to Archbishop Carroll for a first pitch.

Tennis team hosts Divine Savior at Crandon Park.

Friday, March 1, 2024: Softball team hosts Lourdes for a first pitch at Palmetto Bay Park.

GOO ROYALS!

$0
$500