Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

Were You Born in the Wrong Decade?

Highlights of Each: 1960’s – 2010’s
Ms
Eighties winter fashion seen here in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC

Are you one of those people who sometimes feel like they were born in the wrong decade? Every era from the 1960’s to the 2010’s brought uniqueness, making some wish to time-travel through the best parts of history. Let’s hop in that time machine and go through a nostalgic journey of the past few decades.

1960’s: Rock ‘n’ Roll

The swinging 60’s brought about a cultural revolution. With the Beatles and Woodstock defining the spirit of the decade, music became a universal language. Fashion took a psychedelic turn, with tie-dye, mini-skirts, and bell-bottoms.

1970s’: Disco Fever 

The 70’s grooved to the disco beat with glittering dance floors and “Saturday Night Fever.” The rebellious punk movement challenged the norm. Fashion embraced both glam rock and bohemian, creating a vibrant and diverse style spectrum.

1980’s: Neon Dreams

The era of MTV was where music videos became an art form. The 1980’s gave birth to iconic pop stars like Michael Jackson and Madonna, whose music defined the time. Neon colors, leg warmers, and mullet hairstyles were the epitome of style, and movies like “The Breakfast Club” and “Back to the Future” became instant classics.

1990’s: Grunge, Hip-Hop, and Teen TV Shows

Nicholas Wallen, a senior, talks about the 90’s excitedly, stating, “The music of the 90’s is my favorite thing ever; it was raw and authentic.”

The 1990’s embraced grunge music with bands like Nirvana leading the way. Hip-hop and rap also gained mainstream popularity, shaping the music industry for years to come. This decade also saw the rise of teen TV shows like “Friends” and “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” defining this generation’s sense of humor and style.

2000’s: Pop Princesses and Reality TV 

Andrea Garza, a senior, says, “The songs are always going to be so catchy and this era always brings back so much nostalgia from my childhood.”

The 2000’s brought an era of boy bands and pop princesses. Britney Spears, *NSYNC, and Destiny’s Child dominated the music charts. Reality TV shows like “American Idol” and “Survivor” captivated audiences worldwide. Emo fashion, cargo pants, and trucker hats became iconic symbols of the era.

2010’s: Streaming and Cultural Diversity

The 2010’s revolutionized the way audiences consume media with the rise of streaming platforms like Netflix and Spotify. Genres of music blended, which made cultural diversity thrive with artists like Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, and Taylor Swift becoming influential figures.

So, whether you’re a fan of the peace and love vibes of the 1960’s, or the neon of the 1980’s, there’s something special in every era to embrace and inspire your present!

$0
$500