The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

Why Do these Hair Clips Cost $35?

The Emi Jay Hype
Isabella Alzati
A selection of the Emi Jay Collection illustrates their variety of patterns and colors.

Emi Jay is a brand by Julianne Goldmark and Emily Matson. The name “Emi Jay” is a combination of their first names. They started their own brand at just the age of 14. The brand is known for its hair accessories, including hair clips but they originally started with scrunchies that were versatile since at the time, people would wear the scrunchies as bracelets. Goldmark had this idea from a young age because she grew up wearing a school uniform and the only way to express herself was through hair and jewelry. These hair clips range from $12-35. What is the hype with $35 hair clips when you can buy some for two dollars? Emi Jay clips have two sizes of clips; they have little claw clips and big claw clips. These claw clips are glittery, customizable, unique and trendy. Emi Jay is a brand founded on bold femininity, supported by high-quality materials, according to the manufacturer. 

The uniqueness of Emi Jay (Isabella Alzati)

Senior Sophia Lorente said, “I found out about Emi Jay through social media and my friends.” 

Emi Jay has recently become a social media sensation, garnering widespread attention for its captivating hair clips. This surge in popularity has significantly driven consumer interest, with notable figures like Matilda Djerf, Kendall Jenner, Olivia Rodrigo, and Bella Hadid showcasing and endorsing the brand.

Julianne Goldmark, the creative force behind Emi Jay, consistently introduces fresh and innovative hair clips, captivating consumers with each unique design or themed collection. This continuous stream of creative releases not only keeps the brand at the forefront of trends but also entices customers to make repeat purchases, eager to own the latest in Emi Jay’s ever-evolving collection.

“They look super cute in your hair and it’s a good touch to a plain outfit,” said junior Sammy Reyes. 

These unique hair clips, priced at $35 for their best-seller, have stirred some controversy, particularly following a few reported incidents of breakage. Given the cost, one would rightfully expect these clips to exhibit exceptional durability compared to their regular hair clips. Emi Jay, however, offers a thoughtful solution to address any breakage concerns. Upon experiencing such an issue, the company provides customers with a generous 20% discount, applicable indefinitely—a testament to their commitment to outstanding customer service. The elevated pricing of these hair clips can be attributed to their unparalleled uniqueness and customization, coupled with a dedication to sustainability in sourcing materials as well as keeping hair up for up to 12 hours. While the cost may raise eyebrows, the intrinsic value lies in the meticulous craftsmanship, distinctive design, and environmentally conscious approach that define each Emi Jay hair clip.

Despite their popularity, not everyone is convinced.

Emi Jay clip in action on the plane (Isabella Alzati)

“I think they’re super cute, but I could never understand the price of just one hair clip for $35,” said junior Gracie Blanco.

$0
$500