The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Junior Mia Suarez, senior Daniela Aguila, and others, make bubbles out of their giant slime combination.
Slime is Back!
Lucia Salazar, Writer • May 8, 2024
Students in Ms. Cecilia Calleros D block enjoy an Earth Day activity. Photo:  Mrs. Cecilia Calleros
Earth Day Royal Style
Luna Fernandez, Writer • May 7, 2024

Saving Environment Starts with You

Rachael+Restrepo+cleans+Jupiter+beaches+in+her+free+time+as+part+of+her+effort+to+combat+climate+change.+
Rachael Restrepo
Rachael Restrepo cleans Jupiter beaches in her free time as part of her effort to combat climate change.

The environment consists of the natural world. Benefitting from this world, human beings have a duty and responsibility to take care of it. Right now, everyone is negatively affected by climate change, much of which has been caused by human activity. Symptoms include rising temperatures, melting glaciers, and erosion. Luckily, there are ways to reverse some of the damage humans have caused by making changes in daily life and taking measures to help in any way possible. A prime example are senior Sophia Lorente’s efforts.

I participated in a beach cleanup in Key Biscayne, and initially, I felt sad to see so much trash washed up on the shore. After I finished, I felt a sense of achievement because I cleaned up most of the trash and knew I made a positive impact on the environment.”

— Senior Sophia Lorente

Education is a great way to save the planet. Once more people are aware of the negative affects of climate change, and know how they can make a change, that will lead to more action. Senior Natalia Davila had a change of perspective that showed her how she could help our environment in an easy way.

“I didn’t realize that my individual actions such as taking long showers or leaving the lights on really made a negative impact because I’m just one person. However, now I know that just taking off five minutes from my shower and shutting off the lights when I’m not using them really can make a difference and start a chain reaction,” she said.

Reusing, Reducing, and Recycling (the three R’s) are an efficient way to remember how to save our planet. Reusing means to use an item multiple times. Reducing means to use less of something or minimize how much waste it creates. Recycling means changing waste into material that can be reused. Senior Rachael Restrepo actively prioritizes minimizing her carbon footprint.

“I have a recycling bin in my house and I always separate the bottles, paper, and plastic from the other regular trash and place it in there. I know that when I do this, I am preventing more garbage to end up in landfills and causing less waste,” she said.

In the end, saving the environment starts with you.

$0
$500